Engine Build Off ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
With cheap engines and performance parts readily available, it seems that more and more people want to modify engines - often even before trying them stock.

It seems so common that it almost seems to annoy some people.:lolgoku:

As difficult as my current build has been for me so far, it has been an awesome time and couldn't imagine MYSELF just throwing a truly stock engine on anything ever in the future (what happened to the "e" in "truly"?).

With all that said, I was just wondering what kind of interest there might be in some kind of engine build off contest.

Would probably want to keep it from a "Who throws the most money at it" contest, but I guess it depends on fabrication skills? Performance would be hard to compare and starting engines would probably all be different, but perhaps could be judged of theory, concept, design, execution, looks, attention to detail, video of performance on a vehicle....

I'm sure some people might be interested. Not sure how many would be needed for a contest, or if Robert would want something like this here. I think it would be fun, but maybe only me?

Imagine the all the PAFR stuff we would get to see!

EDIT: I forgot the ??? in the title. It looks too Official like now. Sorry

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Well....here's my theory on the engine mods:

First: Monkey see, Monkey do.

Second: I think SOME just think because these mods are so prevalent that a $99 Chinese engine is just a piece of crap right out of the box....

No....the only two mods necessary are low oil sensor wire removal and loosening the throttle plate.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Well....here's my theory on the engine mods:

First: Monkey see, Monkey do.

Second: I think SOME just think because these mods are so prevalent that a $99 Chinese engine is just a piece of crap right out of the box....

No....the only two mods necessary are low oil sensor wire removal and loosening the throttle plate.

Come on some of DD's stuff with kitchen utensils is pretty fantastic!

I may have created a monkey army equipped with vehicles and spy pigeons. We are based near a go kart track at Indiana Beach and funded by eBay engine sales and performance part sales. :roflol:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
EDIT: I forgot the ??? in the title. It looks too Official like now. Sorry

Fixed that for you :D

Now..
it'd be a fun idea but I see some really nasty side effects.

personally I'd prefere an engine looking stock with a 35% increase in power over a fancy looking billet-everything engine with just a 10% increase.

Then again, none of us has a dyno for all I know.. videos are the worst way of judging that.
a slight muffler change and the sound will be different, but a mean sound doesn't mean it's more powerful. ;)

and just a good angle can make it look much more impressive;
phone apps can't tell either (gps signal quality.. road inclination yadda yadda)
So we have basically no way to judge.

we can applaud to a nice look, and that's basically all we can judge.

sooo conclusively..
An engine builder log is more than welcome..
making it a contest is kinda pointless IMHO (lacking a way to make a judgement)

'sid

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly!

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

I have an idea for a "Poboy" dyno tho.

3:1 drive gear ratio, $20 clutch, a stopwatch and a HF drive wheel.....the faster one gives out...the better the hp!

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly!

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

I have an idea for a "Poboy" dyno tho.

3:1 drive gear ratio, $20 clutch, a stopwatch and a HF drive wheel.....the faster one gives out...the better the hp!

We could just let FR judge? lol

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Fixed that for you :D

Now..
it'd be a fun idea but I see some really nasty side effects.

personally I'd prefere an engine looking stock with a 35% increase in power over a fancy looking billet-everything engine with just a 10% increase.

Then again, none of us has a dyno for all I know.. videos are the worst way of judging that.
a slight muffler change and the sound will be different, but a mean sound doesn't mean it's more powerful. ;)

and just a good angle can make it look much more impressive;
phone apps can't tell either (gps signal quality.. road inclination yadda yadda)
So we have basically no way to judge.

we can applaud to a nice look, and that's basically all we can judge.

sooo conclusively..
An engine builder log is more than welcome..
making it a contest is kinda pointless IMHO (lacking a way to make a judgement)

'sid

Thanks for the "???" !

And I totally agree, and for me something looking stock and making more power would be better and more difficult to judge. An awesome looking engine making less than stock power could end up winning.

I just thought the contest aspect might bring out the unique stuff that otherwise wouldn't get done.

Who is going to machine some really cool head fin cuts unless really given a reason?

Anyway, I was just tossing it out there.
Appreciate the input.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Ok so Last years Build off I thought had some realy Cool entries.
The winner Alumiflyer was just SO Cool But he used off the shelf Azuza parts

Desert Duelers Attention to detail and DIY everything! was cool too.

Then there was DW copples "Rat rod" Lawn mower thing. Kind of a POS but yet really cool too!

I suggested to Robert that we have Categories for this years build off. For Example:
Of Course Best all around!
Best paint
Most unique
Etc Etc

So we should throw in a Best Engine Category to satisfy your request.

Now Robert liked the idea, but never put out an official statement. I think maybe he is holding these details till voting time.

Hey Sid, look into this with Robert. He does not see all threads and Posts.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh do not underestimate Roberts attention ;)

I like your ruin the HF wheel, Doug.. sad thing.. I bet even those are inconsistently bad..
some fail in 30 secs while other may live to see second 45... ;)
But a cheap DIY dyno.... must be doable.... I'll think about it...

'sid

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how many entries we get we might have all kinds of categories. The goal is to build the coolest kart you can, they way you want it. I think the engine idea is cool -- but also why limit it to one year? "Cool Engines of DIYGK" thread would be a neat idea too.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
See that Bob just for you... He said "Why limit it to one year?"

GAB Nationnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
my engine build log and contest entry is in this years buildoff already..............

Oh wait that means i got the best of both worlds huh ? lol

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
I'm definitely a motorhead.

I've never run anything stock, at all, and never will.

An engine buildoff though, beside's everything Sid mention as for benchmarks to judge by, smacks of money.

Ever look into Engine Master's? Big names win year after year, because they have the resources. Me? I'm just a guy, with too many toy's and too many hobbies. I basically have to buy off the shelf parts. I can't grind a cam, and don't want the equipment to do so. I don't have the machinery to machine a cranks shaft, or anything else.

Not to mention, in my experience, the longevity and reliability of an engine, are inversely proportional to how much it's modified. Out on the trails, I see trucks with stroked, alloy heads, high compression engines, big cams, puking their gut's out. Then some guy in a45 year old Jeep putter's by with his stock odd-fire 6 lol.

So what does one get at the end of an engine build off? a gnarly engine, that won't be nearly as easy to run and start as a stock 6.5. And for our younger member's, or those with less resources, I think building a billet everything alky burning monster, isn't the message to send them.

Just imo. :cheers2:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I'm definitely a motorhead.

I've never run anything stock, at all, and never will.

An engine buildoff though, beside's everything Sid mention as for benchmarks to judge by, smacks of money.

Ever look into Engine Master's? Big names win year after year, because they have the resources. Me? I'm just a guy, with too many toy's and too many hobbies. I basically have to buy off the shelf parts. I can't grind a cam, and don't want the equipment to do so. I don't have the machinery to machine a cranks shaft, or anything else.

Not to mention, in my experience, the longevity and reliability of an engine, are inversely proportional to how much it's modified. Out on the trails, I see trucks with stroked, alloy heads, high compression engines, big cams, puking their gut's out. Then some guy in a45 year old Jeep putter's by with his stock odd-fire 6 lol.

So what does one get at the end of an engine build off? a gnarly engine, that won't be nearly as easy to run and start as a stock 6.5. And for our younger member's, or those with less resources, I think building a billet everything alky burning monster, isn't the message to send them.

Just imo. :cheers2:

I agree. I've mentioned I've wanted to change the title of my thread to ...

"How to Throw a Million U.S. Dollars at a $99 Chinese Air Pump"

Honestly, it costs $1000 to fully do up 6.5HP Honda/Predator. People with more experience than me set $1000 budgets and run out.

With 420cc going for $160, it doesn't make cents.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Well without getting totally out of hand Money wise.
I still think it makes a good "Category" for the general build off.
One more reason why I wanted "categories" for the build off.
Last years winner "Alumiflyer" was definitely justified. However he had a stock 79cc Predator!
My choice last year was Bretts, The motor was COOL his W ankel. And with his knowledge and DIY, It was NOT $1000.00 but it was cool

Jrgunn5150

Rudderless
Reaction score
Well without getting totally out of hand Money wise.
I still think it makes a good "Category" for the general build off.
One more reason why I wanted "categories" for the build off.
Last years winner "Alumiflyer" was definitely justified. However he had a stock 79cc Predator!
My choice last year was Bretts, The motor was COOL his W ankel. And with his knowledge and DIY, It was NOT $1000.00 but it was cool

I agree, if there was such a thing, I don't beleive power should be the benchmark anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.