Engine advise: Sell kt100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magice

Reaction score
I was thinking about the rebuild costs of the kt100 and was thinking, should I sell the kt100 on ebay with my 300 dollar clutch and try to pick up 400 - 600 dollars for it?

Because I was thinking of using the returns and buying a 125cc ish 2stroke and making a shifter kart. They seem alot more practical and cheap.

Also, I can't decide if I should mount it and try it out before selling it!

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yeah I would sell it. Its not practical for your average yard kart. And you already ordered the chain and sprocket might as well test it out. How is the engine started?

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
H_LL NO! I wouldn't sell it! You have something that occupies the same space as a small Briggs, but is PURPOSE-BUILT for kart racing! Shifter karts are cool, but rigging up the shifting, clutch, etc.... a bit over the top for me and my limited time/funds. Personally, that motor would be worth more to me if I got it for the price you did, than it would to sell it. That is one of the better KibbleKart motors out there. Sorry- that was my 2 cents.

Magice

Reaction score
Started via battery drill :)

I just heard these are horrible on funds.. they spin 14k on the road, 18k free.. very bad rebuilds.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
How about you let me have it? Buy it off you for $90. These kind of thing depreciate over time, you know? :roflol:

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uH13GyzvGk&NR=1
Aw, but think of what you could be missing out on. Besides, ANY motor will need rebuilds if you run the %^&$# out of 'em constantly, like racers do. I'll bet for an average kart, one of these motors would be living in a lap of luxury if well taken care of. (Good oil, good air filter, proper jetting, sane right footwork)

Last edited:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
100 hour rebuilds are for huge racing guys. You could probably go a year and do fine. With everything you've bought already, might as well stick with it.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
If you sell that engine, I will be very upset with you! :toetap05:

I would NEVER be able to find something like that for that price around here!

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Well, when your right foot is shoving so hard for too long on the gas pedal, that your wallet forms a huge vacuum... engulfing both buttcheeks into what can only be described as.....

"The Debt-Terror Pit of Death"...

(Clever use of "Terror" and "of Death")

I'm not saying be a FeatherFoot, but keep the finances in mind before ruining a good investment. That motor at that price is a nice find!

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Well, when your right foot is shoving so hard for too long on the gas pedal, that your wallet forms a huge vacuum... engulfing both buttcheeks into what can only be described as.....

"The Debt-Terror Pit of Death"...

(Clever use of "Terror" and "of Death")

I'm not saying be a FeatherFoot, but keep the finances in mind before ruining a good investment. That motor at that price is a nice find!

Carry wallet in front or cargo pocket, problem solved. Thats how I roll, only time I use mid throttle is to downshift the tav so it drifts better, but this is a mostly stock briggs flathead not a racing 2 stroke. Where in creation is the flywheel on this thing?

Magice

Reaction score
It came with a red restrictor. Do you think it would be a good idea to keep it on or to pop it off (would it save my revving but still allow decent speed)?

Also, I haven't actually been able to start it yet. I have to grind down allen key to fit my drill. I'll post a video first start! What kind of mixture should I use for this sucker?

Oh and here are some pix of the magneto and flywheel as requested...

I ripped it open (broke 2 allen keys, twisted 1), to find a little puddle of muddy, raunchy smelling water! The flywheel is SMALL!

First opened & clean.. The wire you see leads to a sensor un-attached that goes above the clutch.

closer view

flywheel

compared to pop can

again

pop can not lined up but nice shot of the flywheel

crap that came out when I opened it is puddle.. The rest I wiped out.

inside of cover. the center piece is real weak.. I could probably fabricate a pullstart.
edit: it looks like it was puttied on with something, there's a good leak in it. That's how the brown liquid entered.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
once per revolution. i hope that wasnt a serious question

Im for you keeping unless you can make a good profit and buy a bigger motor with that money. dirtbike motor would come w/ tranny and clutch.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Your actual flywheels are inside the crankcase, as part of your crank-throws. MeThinks that wire hanging out is a kill switch lead... maybe?
As far as the oil mix goes, I googled it and I'm seeing between 20>1 and 16>1.....

I'll try to move the wallet to the front pocket, but common sense tells me if I break something, it'll still cost just as much!:oops:

Magice

Reaction score
The wire leads to a sensor that is mounted on the guard above the clutch. I believe it tells it when to fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.