Electronic Regen Type Braking

66dellwood

Reaction score
Is there a technique and/or products to neatly connect the "brake" connector on the speed controller to the brake pedal so the motor cuts out when the brake is applied? This is integrated nicely with electric scooter hand brake levers and was hoping for something similar with floor foot brake pedals for karts. ElectricScooterParts.com is not aware of anything that would do the trick.

Asking b/c with a build for the grandson, he can't always apply enough pressure on the brake band drum to get a quick stop. I would love to get regen braking-- just like Popi's Tesla.

thanks much.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I remember seeing a y-tube video where someone mounted that "scooter hand brake lever", you mentioned, down in front of the brake pedal
...so, that it was actuated when the brake pedal on the kart was applied.
(the pedal was the actual brake & the lever just supplied the switch to cut power to the motor)

Or maybe just mount a "push button" type momentary switch that's actuated by the pedal (like in many cars) ;)

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
I mounted a spring pull switch on my brake pedal in tandem with the manual brake. The switch is off or on so just does what I program the controller to do instead of progressively increasing braking as I push the pedal more. However, the manual brake is on the same pedal and acts as a backup or if I need to stop faster than how I have the regen braking set. I almost never push hard enough to engage the manual brake. Here is the switch I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045LA6D6

66dellwood

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks gents.

EZ: not clear how that spring switch gets 1) attached to the brake pedal and 2) wired back to the brake connector on the speed controller. Any advice would be appreciated.

1626197391801.png

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
I rigged it up with some zip ties and a hose clamp on the same mount as the return spring. I'd weld a proper mount, but this has been working perfectly for over a year. The wires just connect to your brake signal line. There is no polarity; it is just a simple switch.

20210713_145940.jpg

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Nice. Got it and the order is in. thanks so much.
No problem. If the instructions aren't clear with the switch, the screws in the housing are the terminals where you attach your wires. You can see the wires in my picture if you look closely.

66dellwood

Reaction score
thanks again. God bless Amazon, the switch came in one day. Yes, totally unclear as to how to connect this thing. Thanks for the heads up on those terminal screws. Saved me a lot of head scratching.