Electric Off Road Kart

Mammoth

Active member
Messages
185
Reaction score
127
Location
Durham, CA
I just picked up a Ford Transit van so I can travel with multiple vehicles. I like the idea of having an electric full suspension kart so I can explore dirt roads in the forests and not disturb the wildlife.

Since the kart is going to fit into a van it has to be on the smaller size. I saw a Zyliathor kart and thought one would be perfect for my needs. It can be ordered in several different versions of gas or electric. I wanted a little more power with a lot more range than offered. So I decided to order a Zyliathor clone 63cc gas version off Temu and convert it to electric.

The total for the kart was $640, and it arrived in a crate. I had low expectations on quality, but that didn't concern me because I planned to upgrade most of the parts anyway.

20260830_073900.jpg

Upon assembly I noticed they used soft rubber plugs to center the a-arms which is probably fine at 18 mph, but not going to suffice at 70 mph. In order to remedy this I milled some steel inserts to press into the tubing.

20260822_064913.jpg

20260822_081202.jpg


I cut the steering handle off and mounted some regular handlebars.

20260830_073722.jpg

20260823_095401.jpg


The two short rods on the rear 4 link are mounted to the front of the axle housing which can cause the axle to roll under acceleration or braking. It would be better if there mounted to the top of the axle housing.

20260823_075551.jpg


Decided to fix it while I'm upgrading all the parts.

20260829_074459.jpg

Built some adjustable tie rods in the process.

20260926_112141.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20260926_112141.jpg
    20260926_112141.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20260926_112145.jpg
    20260926_112145.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Mammoth

Active member
Messages
185
Reaction score
127
Location
Durham, CA
The shocks that came with it were not shocks at all, they were just springs. I ordered mountain bike Fox Float X Air Shox which are shorter, but have more travel. All the mounts had to be altered so they could fit.

The rear upper mount 12mm bolt hole had to be welded so I could drill a smaller 8mm hole. The new shocks use 8mm bolts.

20260926_112145.jpg


The bottom mount had to be cut off and built taller to work with the shorter shock.

20260926_152342.jpg
20260926_152352.jpg


Rather than weld the A-arm mount 12mm hole and re-drill, I just drilled an 8mm hole below and ground off the rest. I just painted it white which ended up getting ruined. Just have to sand blast and repaint.

20260920_123104.jpg


The upper front mount had to be cut off, then cut in half so I could roll it down to make up for the shorter shock.

20260920_130015.jpg


Filled the gap with a pie shaped wedge, and the bolt holes had to be resized to 8mm as well.

20260926_152400.jpg
 
Last edited:

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,191
Reaction score
4,165
Stupendous project. Soon you’ll be riding with Pinkpanda3310, just on the upside of the Disc World 🥏. Matter of fact, did he inspire you to do buy this?

I want to see the Transit van stuffed full of fun toys when you’re done.

…but not going to suffice at 70 mph

Be still my beating heart.
 
Last edited:

Mammoth

Active member
Messages
185
Reaction score
127
Location
Durham, CA
Surprisingly I didn't come across Pinkpanda3310. I searched all over looking for any info or videos.

The shocks are normally $400 but I found them on sale for $129. I like these because I can adjust the air pressure to match the weight of the kart.

Made some shock guards to block any rocks that get kicked up from the front wheels.

20260927_083052.jpg


I had to make a cradle to hold the battery. It ended up simpler than I had envisioned.

20260926_160014.jpg
20260927_114029.jpg
20260927_114129.jpg


The battery I chose was built by Spiderbatterysystems. It's 84v, 45Ah with Molicel P50B 5000mah batteries. I wanted to have a good range without carrying too much weight. This battery at 28 pounds was the right balance between weight and distance.

20260927_114836.jpg
20260927_114942.jpg
 
Last edited:
Top