electric motor stuttering

redflash

Reaction score
sorryI I remain a 74 year old electrical idiot....After checking with maker the switch is actually NC. I am not clear on the additional info you need to make a recommendation on where to in line this switch. Please tell me what else you need to know, I will gladly supply it if I can find it
The only hookups to the controller are the 3 phase wires....and the hall ( 5 wire fitiing)....I have NO connections to the two brake connecters,
No connections to the brake lamp, the indicator lights, or charge connecters............. those are all left unwired to anything

I bought the switch from "Electric scooter parts" in Santa Cruz, California...they suggest wiring it into the electric throttle "output" signal wire,
Not sure what color that is...I'm guessing it's not the red wire.......black is ground....see how lost I am, thats why I'm begging for your remedial assistance
Thanks
Electrical idiot

Last edited:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
that's why I asked to post PICS!
we can derive most of the needed information from just a handfull of pics by now,
and it's far easier for most to just take a good photo than to write a good explanation.

five wire throttle?? I doubt that sounds more like a three wire throttle and a two wire engagement switch tbh
And NOT knowing what you got... we turn in circles I'm afraid.

Not having a brake switch connected is actually a bit of a dumb idea I'm afraid,
brake lights are not important for us here though

'sid

redflash

Reaction score
sorry to aggravate you sid....at 74 I don't take pictures... God made phones for phone calls, not pictures.....Electric scooter parts of santa cruz gave me the answer....the" out put" wire from the electrical throttle
Thanks anyway

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
My dad is 78 and he takes a crapton of pictures with his phone,
Mom is 72 and takes more pictures with her phone per day, than I do per month
So no that's not age,
that's being too lazy, and age is no excuse for that I'm afraid.

Output is not my favourite idea tbh.. depending on the controller it may even make things worse
and lead to erratic behaviour if that switch cooled back down to reset temperature again.
cutting the source of the throttle usually let's the controller know the throttle has been disconnected
(not just set to zero) and thus the controller snaps into save mode
in both cases the controller will likely need to be rebooted.
in case of throttle disconnect (switch at source) the controller let's you know about that
and the vehicle will not move even after the switch has been reset until you rebooted the controller.
In case of signal disconnect (switch at output) the controller doesn't even know there was an error
chances are slim but not ruled out that a lower than the preset zero value wraps around and
the controller reads that as "full throttle",
it can (knowing the throttle is still connected) readjust the throttle to full zero
and as soon as the swicth resets the 0.5V signal it provides as it's proper zero
is read as slow creeping forward
it could just sit in it's standard loop and wait for a new throttle signal..
if the throttle is at a different state than it was the second the switch triggered,
can lead to a wrong potential (that's a mechanical plate switch and thus it has capacitance)
that stored energy then rushes back into the output of the hall effect sensor
(and if big enough roasts it's insides)
at best the spike leaves the HE Sensor unharmed but only rushes into the controller.
there it let's the controller read a full speed for a brief period of time, and you may end up with a jerking of the motor
and undefined behaviour afterwards (and would need to reboot anyways in order to resolve that)

But yeah, you do not want to provide the infos, and that's perfectly okay,
we just cannot answer your questions then; so yeah
boiled down to the simplest terms:
You do not want us to answer your questions

'sid

Quinc

Reaction score
I just had a similar issue with my chinese 48v/1800w brushless motor. Odd though that if you spin it backward it would spin forward again for about 5 seconds before dying.. Turn it off and on, spin the motor backward by hand and it will spin forward again for a few seconds. Shes been constantly ridden hard and in wet conditions in an mx bike. If I get around to taking apart the motor I will post some pics.

mapoopsie

Reaction score
This is amazing! This seems to have just happened to our 2000w BOMA motor while my son was having a blast doing donuts in the snow. The motor was never torque-y enough for my taste, so maybe this is an opportunity to upgrade. We retro-fitted a dingo and are probably geared around 7 to 1. Anyone use the Motenergy motors on their projects? Overkill?

RobbieKinPA

Reaction score
I'm guessing this has been resolved by now but I just found this thread and wanted to chime in with my experience and resolution with the same issue that I have been dealing with this week as my build finishes. Same deal-48v 1800w brushless on a custom kart I have been building for a while. 10t and 72 on the axle and 15"wheels I too had the won't launch chatter. Give it a push to get it going and its fine. In my case it was a matter of getting my alignment right on my motor mount.and brining those tires up to proper pressure. Everything has been a custom fabrication on this thing so it took some trial and error to get it lined up right and secure. Once I did get it aligned right the chatter went away and it would actually take off just fine even with my 200# butt sitting on it. If you ran 10-12 times no problem like you said perhaps something worked loose or shifted? I don't know but that worked for me. Will be doing the maiden runs with my son over the weekend but it seems to have been cured. So far.

redflash

Reaction score
In addition to your solutions...I went down from 18 inch tires to 15 inch tires...that changed everything....The ratios were just so far off that the smaller tire made all the difference, Of course I lost about 5-7 mph off the top end but hey no kid needs to go over 24-25 mph anyway

Da flash

RobbieKinPA

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it resolved and impressive speeds! I’m on 15s as well. you want to experience scary, hop on that kart yourself lol. Son and I did some test drives over the snowy weekend and am now putting in a 4pt harness. So much grip around turns and it’s just wanting to throw you out.