electric motor stuttering

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
first you need to know if it's an NC or NO switch you got

THEN we look into post #12 to find out if it has to be wired into the throttle or brake line.
and once you figured that out it's actually easy as long as you know if you have an opening or closing brake trigger switch
(usually closing since most also power brake lights that way.. )

You need to provide the infos first, else we cannot answer your question properly.
what controller might be important
post pics...
part number of thermal switch,
type of throttle...

'sid

redflash

Reaction score
no switch i believe...... part # ksd 9700...250 volt 5 amp......65 degree centigrade
thankyou

Last edited:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
don't assume! test it if you don't have the proper documentation handy
get your multimeter out and check for conductivity between it's two leads at room temperature
buzzing NC, not buzzing NO
get a cup of boiling water and put it in, test again to verify
buzzing NO, not buzzing NC

Now, let's assume it's an NO switch as per your assumption.
where's the controller information?

You cannot wire an NO switch into the throttle line just like that.
so the brake line (hopefully the right type) it'll be
And again.. we need infos to tell you more
you don't want to provide the necessary information?

well then
have a nice day I guess ;)

'sid
[EDIT]
ksd9700 documentation I found is terrible.. but it suggests an NC configuration,
https://www.nikom.biz/pdf/KSD-9700.pdf said:
When the electric appliance is in operation is in operation and produces heat caused
by some troubles and temperature is raised to the rated action temperature of the product,
the bimetallic element produces inner stuess and acts quickly and pushes the movable
contact-head and make the vontact point off and the power supply is rurned off
the electric appliance stop.in this way the thermal protection is made.
When the temperature of electric appliance to be protected is dropped to the rated
reset temperature. The bimetallic element restores to its primary state
and contact point is closed. The electric appliance restores its work
wow.. not only terrible translation but also terrible OCR.. ah well

which indeed is easiest to wire in series with the 5V line of the throttle.
DO NOT RELY on that quote! test the switch yourself!

Last edited:

redflash

Reaction score
sorryI I remain a 74 year old electrical idiot....After checking with maker the switch is actually NC. I am not clear on the additional info you need to make a recommendation on where to in line this switch. Please tell me what else you need to know, I will gladly supply it if I can find it
The only hookups to the controller are the 3 phase wires....and the hall ( 5 wire fitiing)....I have NO connections to the two brake connecters,
No connections to the brake lamp, the indicator lights, or charge connecters............. those are all left unwired to anything

I bought the switch from "Electric scooter parts" in Santa Cruz, California...they suggest wiring it into the electric throttle "output" signal wire,
Not sure what color that is...I'm guessing it's not the red wire.......black is ground....see how lost I am, thats why I'm begging for your remedial assistance
Thanks
Electrical idiot

Last edited:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
that's why I asked to post PICS!
we can derive most of the needed information from just a handfull of pics by now,
and it's far easier for most to just take a good photo than to write a good explanation.

five wire throttle?? I doubt that sounds more like a three wire throttle and a two wire engagement switch tbh
And NOT knowing what you got... we turn in circles I'm afraid.

Not having a brake switch connected is actually a bit of a dumb idea I'm afraid,
brake lights are not important for us here though

'sid

redflash

Reaction score
sorry to aggravate you sid....at 74 I don't take pictures... God made phones for phone calls, not pictures.....Electric scooter parts of santa cruz gave me the answer....the" out put" wire from the electrical throttle
Thanks anyway

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
My dad is 78 and he takes a crapton of pictures with his phone,
Mom is 72 and takes more pictures with her phone per day, than I do per month
So no that's not age,
that's being too lazy, and age is no excuse for that I'm afraid.

Output is not my favourite idea tbh.. depending on the controller it may even make things worse
and lead to erratic behaviour if that switch cooled back down to reset temperature again.
cutting the source of the throttle usually let's the controller know the throttle has been disconnected
(not just set to zero) and thus the controller snaps into save mode
in both cases the controller will likely need to be rebooted.
in case of throttle disconnect (switch at source) the controller let's you know about that
and the vehicle will not move even after the switch has been reset until you rebooted the controller.
In case of signal disconnect (switch at output) the controller doesn't even know there was an error
chances are slim but not ruled out that a lower than the preset zero value wraps around and
the controller reads that as "full throttle",
it can (knowing the throttle is still connected) readjust the throttle to full zero
and as soon as the swicth resets the 0.5V signal it provides as it's proper zero
is read as slow creeping forward
it could just sit in it's standard loop and wait for a new throttle signal..
if the throttle is at a different state than it was the second the switch triggered,
can lead to a wrong potential (that's a mechanical plate switch and thus it has capacitance)
that stored energy then rushes back into the output of the hall effect sensor
(and if big enough roasts it's insides)
at best the spike leaves the HE Sensor unharmed but only rushes into the controller.
there it let's the controller read a full speed for a brief period of time, and you may end up with a jerking of the motor
and undefined behaviour afterwards (and would need to reboot anyways in order to resolve that)

But yeah, you do not want to provide the infos, and that's perfectly okay,
we just cannot answer your questions then; so yeah
boiled down to the simplest terms:
You do not want us to answer your questions

'sid