Dune cat bearings

Tu tony

Reaction score
I need good pictures of the original bearing (flange) location on the axle. I don’t know if my bearings was installed properly when i bought it. Thanks

Rat

Reaction score
I need good pictures of the original bearing (flange) location on the axle. I don’t know if my bearings was installed properly when i bought it. Thanks
Pretty impossible to put flanged bearings in wrong. Sit them in place and knock em or press em down till the flange seats flush to the surface on each hub face Excluding the driven wheel(s) that would rotate with the drivetrain.

Tu tony

Reaction score
I thought the same so I didn’t take pictures before I disassembled the axle. I do remember cleaning crust strip off the center of the bearings. The bearings closest to the hub were ‘stuck’ so I left them in place while I removed old paint and rust. When I reinstalling the axle this location of the flanges seems to fit the best according to the bearings that were ‘stuck’. I thought the flanges were supposed to touch each other not separated that’s why I asking for original pictures. Or should I beat off the stuck bearings and move them over so the flanges are touching?DD1189EC-9257-45BC-AD78-D1DD1006FA2F.jpeg

Attachments

• C979452B-F72B-4C2C-BDB5-96152BE819B6.jpeg
    C979452B-F72B-4C2C-BDB5-96152BE819B6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Rat

Reaction score
I thought the same so I didn’t take pictures before I disassembled the axle. I do remember cleaning crust strip off the center of the bearings. The bearings closest to the hub were ‘stuck’ so I left them in place while I removed old paint and rust. When I reinstalling the axle this location of the flanges seems to fit the best according to the bearings that were ‘stuck’. I thought the flanges were supposed to touch each other not separated that’s why I asking for original pictures. Or should I beat off the stuck bearings and move them over so the flanges are touching?View attachment 146763
Not the type of flanged bearings I thought we were discussing, that looks right. I can't see any other way they would fit beyond having the flanges back to back directly (bolted to one side or the other of their respective mounts) but that would assume you have latteral bearing movement between the flanges currently.

Tu tony

Reaction score
The axles do move side to side a bit. Never did before. Confusing. Hopefully some one will have pictures to save me hours of frustration. The flange mounts closet to the tire hub are angled above 10 degrees inward that only adds to my confusion

Rat

Reaction score
The axles do move side to side a bit. Never did before. Confusing. Hopefully some one will have pictures to save me hours of frustration. The flange mounts closet to the tire hub are angled above 10 degrees inward that only adds to my confusion
Well the zipties might have something to do with that.

I'd cut the zips, put the flanges back to back outboard of their mount (closer tobthe wheels) and see what that does for the slop.

The Only Dunecat I've ever seen was the 72 I shared here from FB marketplace... but there isn't much I can't figure out, no manual needed (unless it's OE electrical I'm repairing versus building from the battery out)

Last edited:

Tu tony

Reaction score
Bring a trailer auctions had 2 different dune cats for sale with lots of pictures. The flanges were installed differently on each one. Unless someone finds one in a old barn and take pictures I guess I’ll have to removed zip ties and bolt, unbolt, bolt, unbolt and bolt till I get it right. Lol thanks for your time

Rat

Reaction score
I guess I’ll have to removed zip ties and bolt, unbolt, bolt, unbolt and bolt till I get it right. Lol thanks for your time
Sometimes that's not just the only method, but it's the best method.
Just don't crank them all the way to torque spec until the fitment seems perfect, and all will be golden