Dumb idea? maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
for the CO2 (or other paintball propellant) tanks, bring a small magnet with you when you are looking for one. thats by far the easiest way to know if its steel or not.

and as for welding the propane tank, ive brazed one, so welding would prob work just as well.

what i did was drill two (small, maybe 1/4" tops) holes in it, then stuck a tube in one, held a lighter by the other hole and blow into the tube. the flame started yellow, turned to blue, then went out. there was no longer enough propane left to burn. problem solved.
it did take a while to get all the gas out though, i also kept blowing air through the tank for a little bit after the flame went out, just to make sure i got the last little bit out that might cause a problem.
i should add that i let all the pressure out BEFORE i started drilling..
use the main amount of gas for a torch or camp stove or w/e you use your propane for lol.
then get some needle nose pliers, go outside away from any source of ignition, and pull the little rod in the pressure relief valve until you cant hear a hiss anymore.

(btw, i was trying to make a boiler for a model steam engine lol)

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I've done stupider things myself, and dont get my started on my friends dad...he tried to clean out a snowblower while it was running, chopped his finger off. Anyways, yea burning the gas out isnt very smart...I had a flame semi close to an open gas tank once and it burst into flames from just the fumes.

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
Isnt the point not to get a lighter anywhere near the gas? Why did you burn it out? Your crazy!

yeah, i admit i am kinda crazy.. my friends know me as a crazy pyro loll
but i must be doing something right, I've never gotten burned past the first degree! lol
except the first time i tried putting some fries in a fryer.. do it SLOWLY!! getting splashed by the oil is not fun. lol
but that doesn't really count, it wasn't from playing with fire. haha

but i was burning it so i would know when its gone! makes sence to me lol

I've done stupider things myself, and dont get my started on my friends dad...he tried to clean out a snowblower while it was running, chopped his finger off. Anyways, yea burning the gas out isnt very smart...I had a flame semi close to an open gas tank once and it burst into flames from just the fumes.

ohhh yeah, snowblowers can be mean. luckily mine are my buddies. i know them well! as in i actually respect that they are stronger than me, and can easily remove parts of my body lol
plus I'm used to working with old stuff all the time. I'm just used to watching out for belts and stuff that aren't guarded i guess.

but what i did was drill a small hole. so the flame wont burn back into the tank. its like using a metal screen as a spark/flame arrestor.
an open gas tank (as in gasoline? i think thats what you meant, correct me if I'm wrong) wouldn't have a small enough hole to act like that.

also, when i was blowing (putting a positive pressure in the tank) it expelled the gases out of the tank faster than they could burn back. having the small hole also helps with that, the gasses come out of the hole at a higher speed.

a gasoline tank has the fumes (which is what is flammable, not the liquid itself) sitting still in a path into the container.

but yeahhh. if someone out there does try this. I'm not responsible if you get hurt..
oddly.. that statement can apply to a lot of the things i do! lol

SpyGuy

Hooligan
Reaction score
Spraycans work just fine for mufflers, guys ......... and Altoids cans make great air cleaners .....

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Yea i've made spraypaint can mufflers, it just impossible to weld one, thats why i wanted to use something like a propane tank.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Its not imposable to weld a spray can. Try .20 wire in a mig. A good TIG welder should be able to weld coke cans together or razor blades with a good bead.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I have .35 wire on the moment, and no gas so im using flux core. so its impossible for me without spending some cash.

Raywelder

Not an Adm¡nistrator
Reaction score
I have .35 wire on the moment, and no gas so im using flux core. so its impossible for me without spending some cash.

about the same welder as I have at the house.

But I now have access to some tigs and migs at work :thumbsup:

IF you could figure out how to evacuate the tank of all the propane, it'd be perfect for what you want. Its not impossible, but I'm not sure I'd take the risk.
You could get a big pipe and cap the ends. More durable than a spray can.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Yup, im done making exhausts for now, all i have is 2 strokes and one 4 stroke engine that im not going to mess with so its not really a problem any more. If i ever did want to make an exhaust tho i think i'd just get some gas for my mig and some real thin wire and use some kind of paint can or maybe some very thin sheet metal

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
ok, so to make the muffler (i have an engine that needs one)..
you drill holes in the pipe where the can would be covering it, right? I've never made one before lol.

eesakiwi

Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't think twice about welding that propane gas bottle once its been fulled with soapy water & emptyed.

Yeah I know what you are all saying,
"Theres a explosive gas in there".

But after the pressurised gas been taken out, the valve & the little brass nut (pressure release thingy) taken out.
Theres only a little gas left in the bottle now.

By fulling it with soapy water you then exclude all the remaining gas in the bottle & its now 'empty'.

Oh, by the way, fire extingusher bottles make good mufflers & fuel tanks.
On the other hand, welding or grinding or sparks near a liquid fuel tank...
(ie Petrol, Alcohol, Paint stripper, Kerosene, Turpentine, even good old plain engine Oil)
Thats a WHOLE DIFFERENT MATTER!

Even if the liquid fuel tanks been gassed out & then filled with water (even soapy water)
& emptyed, there can still be liquid stuck in the grooves inside the drum (even just on the inside surfaces)
& any heating of any sort, grinding, gas torch, welding, even just leaving it for a short while, in the sun or not WILL push out the flammable solvent aspect & the next thing that happens is...

WHUMPH!!!
as it explodes........

& not a little explosion, it can be a large sharp BANG or a long huge pressure wave sort of explosion as it shifts anything within 50 feet outwards in a flammable skin peeling 'Whump'.

I wouldn't even consider welding a tank thats held flammable liquids if its been gassed, gassed twice the next day, filled with soapy water for another day, emptyed & filled again & emptyed again, & filled again
& welded while still filled with water....

I have welded in ships Diesel fuel tanks before & they have a special guy come out & supervise the emptying & flushing etc & then he got a meter than can measure 1 part in a million of certain gases & only after that can we then go down & set up our gear.
While we Weld he sits there watching his wee gizmo in case something happens...

Remember, if a construction site or a building ever goes on fire, theres a 95% chance its been started by 'Sparks from a Welder'.

I have seen it & went home to get my camera so I could photograph it when it catches fire
& got back in time to see it actually happen....

theo

Reaction score
I would have any problems using a propane bottle. Once it's empty place it in a vice with it wrapped with something to stop the scratching. Then take a hacksaw and cut the threads off so that a little of the neck stays on to weld to. Fill the bottle with boiling water and soap, and shack like hell. Cut or drill the other end and you will have no problems with it going KA BOOM.

(Once this is done get someone you don't like to weld on the pipe.)

theo

yellowbeard

Reaction score
try this

what about and old fire extingusher bottle, they make small ones and they take them out of service when they get old. should be able to find one for free. they are steel because they will rust. you are young try at school and see if they have any old ones or the place where they refill them. hope this helps. joe

fluxcored

Reaction score
I had one of those big drums explode on me altho we emptied and carefully rinsed the insides. Darn thing nearly blew my head offf and I was totally engulfed in flames. Luckily I had flame retardent kit on.

Knew about the water trick but did'nt see the necessity of it - we did do a thorough cleaning job and after all it only contained benzene!!

I've got 2 rules now - stay away from galvanized steel and do'nt work on enclosed canisters/drums/tanks.

The older I get - the more reluctant I am to die by stupidity.

The fire extinguisher idea passing the round is your best option, me thinks.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
You pretty much want to have an input pipe with a plugged end and some slits cut for vents, then an output shaft made the same way. Heres a car muffler inside

Heres mine. I cut a chunk out of the middle of one piece of pipe and welded some washers in there to completely block off the pipe, then cut a bunch of vents throughout the pipe. This one was for a fairly small engine, would be perfect for something like a 2 or 3 hp engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.