Drift Trike Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigair49

Reaction score
Haven't been on here much lately but I was inspired to build a Drift Trike.

Hmm whats a drift trike you ask,, well normally they are gravity powered big wheels for big kids with PVC pipe slipped over the rear tires.find a big hill with lots of curves and let the fun begin.

Well I have no hills big enough around here and quite frankly everything is better with GAS!! IMHO!

So I started off with a honda engine and because I don't have a welding machine at home I used some old lumber to get things figured out.

bigair49

Reaction score
Next I Bent up some 2" pipe to match the pine template.At this point the guys at the shop I work at seem to be very interested in what I was building..

bigair49

Reaction score
Well 1 TRIKE turned into 5 so I bent up some frames and rear supports for the guys that wanted them. the deal was that they would build up there own trikes with there own personal preference and engines.
I pushed on with mine and not too surprisingly the other were just a few steps behind watching my every move.

I decided that i would use parts that could be found at local hardware stores and off of BMX bikes etc..so that every one could actually get theres finished with a small budget in mind.
some hubs to fit the 3/4 shaft.

bigair49

Reaction score
after a few days of messing around with different ideas I got the frame tacked and the engine mounted. I found a sweet seat at princess auto it's a tad too big but it works

bigair49

Reaction score
well as we all know a gas engine need GAS right. so I slammed an old tank off a mini bike and zipped tied it to the frame so I could fire this little monster up.well of course having a running engine and things all tacked up the next step would naturally be a test run so off I went.. with a live rear axle and rubber tires on the back most of the weight on the rears all i can do it go straight and plow the grass LOL after some searching I found the infamous PVC and VICTORY WAS MINE!!

mckutzy

Reaction score
That is really cool.
I however would add some rear brakes, cause when you need them and they arent there, it will hurt...... if you live to tell the tale.

I would also add a foot rest near the front of the engine, how are you going to have good stability in a turn, when your trying avoiding a roadrash tire rub on your leg....

Other than that it looks cool.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Thats pretty cool...

{EDIT} How long do you think the pvc "tires" will last?
Seems like its a fairly simple project, I may look into building one... not that I really need anymore projects...

bigair49

Reaction score
Thanks for checking it out guys.
Ya it was a straight forward build pretty simple. The PVC should last for wile I would say probably 30 hours LOL but I've got about 15 feet of it so not too worried about it.

Well,wile I value you crusade for SAFETY. I did not build this one with my Grandmother in mind LOL .
Rear Brakes would be pointless as the PVC is like Teflon and would yield little or no results in the stopping department.
As for stability and extra foot rests well.

Check this test run out!
I had to take the sleeves off to get any traction in the snow!
http://youtu.be/2mt5XBUkdPU

ChrisT

Reaction score
Awesome looking build, was slightly worried when I saw the timber frame.
Agree with mckutzy, rear brakes are a sensible option - just fitted some to mine and it feels so much safer than std front bike brakes

bigair49

Reaction score
:iagree:
Well at this point I just can't stand the gas tank so I cut up the frame and welded in a bung as it's called

Finished up the welding and blasted the frame for a nice coat of "SAFETY YELLOW"

bigair49

Reaction score
well not really laying around but we did have them prior to building these
Mine the yellow one has a 4 stroke 100cc 4 speed semi auto clutch.kick start

the Orange one has a 4 stroke 125cc 4 speed with a clutch.kick start

the green one has a 4 stroke 125cc 3 speed semi auto with reverse and electric start

the others are going to run 2 stroke 50cc centrifugal clutch engines. pull start

As it turns out my son just has to have one too. so I got a little start on his.he will be doing most of the work himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.