Does anyone know what kart this is

Status
Not open for further replies.

11charlie

Reaction score
I'm new to your forum. I love it. I've learned a lot already. I'm wanting to get this one back in roadworthy condition. It's pretty rough, but its straight and has no holes. Any help would be appreciated. And no I'm not going to get my kart id'd and split. I'm going to be posting some rather dumb questions, but I'll do my best to keep them to a minimum.
Thank y'all

Attachments

• 20200106_094722.jpg
    20200106_094722.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200106_094713.jpg
    20200106_094713.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200106_094708.jpg
    20200106_094708.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 16

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I'm thinking Manco 225 American Express, but the engine plate is messing with me. And why the sprocket is on the right, I have NO IDEA!:huh:

Maybe some 60s racing kart? Maybe designed for a reverse rotation 2 stroke?

Smerft85

Reaction score
I'm thinking Manco 225 American Express, but the engine plate is messing with me. And why the sprocket is on the right, I have NO IDEA!:huh:

Looks like an American express to me too, only reason I could see for the right hand engine plate is for a second engine to add reverse, or a jackshaft that puts everything on the other side of the engine. Perhaps a two stroke like you say, but my dingo had the sprocket on the right of the engine too. Engine plate doesn't seem to match what manco did for at least the dingos, and from what I've seen the Am-Ex is pretty much a mini dingo. Wouldn't be too hard to make a dingo style engine plate and put it in, may be stronger too.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
This AmEx thread shows that the engine plate is in the center: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42167

And the engine plate welds look very professional, so I don't think it's been messed with.
Some 60s race karts ran dual (McCulloch?) 2 strokes, with one mounted backwards and rotating in the opposite direction. This one looks like a more base model single engine model. Also the caster on the front spindles seems to be saying race kart to me.

11charlie - Hold onto that kart! Don't get rid of it for any reason! It's structurally sound and may be a real vintage survivor!

11charlie

Reaction score
Yall are awesome. I forgot to mention that among to parts that didn't look like they belonged, there is a McCullough two stroke engine, but yall honed in on that pretty quick. I love the way it sets. So, it's a keeper then?

rushking19

Reaction score
Yall are awesome. I forgot to mention that among to parts that didn't look like they belonged, there is a McCullough two stroke engine, but yall honed in on that pretty quick. I love the way it sets. So, it's a keeper then?

Yeah the McCulloch engine explains the plate location and yes it's a keeper

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
WOAH! It came with a McCulloch engine?!?!?:eek:
Those things are like $500 for a project engine!! Fix it up! You've got a 60s race kart on your hands!:2guns:
Possibly with an original engine!!
ABSOLUTELY keep it!

Status
Not open for further replies.