DK Motors Co, engine swap and Clutch advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scraig

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm new to Go Karts, and recently was given a DK Motors Co go kart. The motor was dusted, so we pulled it off. I was planning on putting on a 6.5 hp Predator engine, but just noticed the tag is showing the net weight is around 440lbs. We don't need anything fast, its for my 10 year old boy.

Does anyone have any experience using a 6.5 hp engine on something this size? Or is the engine too small? If not, what type of clutch and sprocket sizes would I need to achieve around 30 to 35 mph, but still have enough power/torque for take offs?

Weight = tag shows 200 kg (
Rear tire size = 18 x 9.50-8
Desired top speed = 30 to 35 mph


Thanks,
Craig
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 9

Jaugesen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Lubbock, Texas
I am very new on this as well, but it looks very similar to the one my son and I play around with. I cant go into sprockets (gear ratios) yet, but I can tell you that the manco 606c-14 that we have has a predator 212 and a 30 series torque converter on it. On paved roads, I have had ours up to 38mph with myself (230lbs) and son (51lbs) in it together. From what I have read, these guys know their stuff, and hopefully someone will chime in about recommendations on sprockets, and gears ratios. Probably even have better advice than what I just mentioned.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

I have a 9 tooth sprocket on the driven pulley, and a 60 tooth sprocket on the live axle.
 

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
A 212 could make that thing go, but you'd need to gear it down quite a bit, and you won't reach 35 MPH without mods.
 

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
197
Location
Wisconsin
I have a small 1996 path winder gokart that has a predator 212 with guvnor bypass, no exhaust, and a Honda gx270 carb jet. i have a 10t clutch 50/60t rear sprocket sorry i don't remember at the moment but I can hit 36 on a flat road.
 

Scraig

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Thanks everyone for the help and thoughts. From what little research I've done so far, and based on what you all have suggested; it's looking like a torque converter is what I'm going to need.

I'll try and do some more research on gearing.

Thanks again!
 

JC766

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
A stage 1 212 with a TAV 30 clutch should be fine for what your trying to do. I just picked up a Manco Intruder II which is similar weight and design. My cart has a 60T axle sprocket, 9T on the jack stand, and a TAV 30 clutch. It ran ok, but the 22” x11” tires the owner out on out a little strain on it. I wish I had the original 18” tires. I’m in the process of switching to a 7” driven and moving the spring to hole 3 to hopefully compensate for the larger heavier tires.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top