DIY 5 speed shifter kart

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Red one looks like it could have been in an Indiana Jones movie. Remember the kid, Short Round? Also had some blocks on the pedals of the car so he could reach them.

Thelegg

Reaction score
Red one looks like it could have been in an Indiana Jones movie. Remember the kid, Short Round? Also had some blocks on the pedals of the car so he could reach them.
I'm afraid that's one collection of films Ive never seen, sounds funny tho. Yes it's definitely been adapted for someone short most probably a child as the harness is set so small I can't even get an arm In haha

Thelegg

Reaction score
Small update, kart has now moved back into my workshop :)
Tyres were flat but other than that just very very dusty lol hopefully start work on it in a few weeks :) IMG_20220811_073934.jpg

Thelegg

Reaction score
So quick update, fuel was nasty and old so drained and cleaned the tank, stripped and cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel pipe. But it just wouldn't start after trying everything I was almost ready to chuck in but noticed in an old video on here that there was no air filter so I thought what the hell and tried it without the filter... Fired straight up lol only trouble was it was running at full throttle which is LOUD! Due to no muffler so quickly turned the key which didn't stop it. So now it's almost midnight and I've got a kart stuck running flat out haha neighbors dogs are going nuts my daughter is waking up my wife is on the phone asking me what the hell I'm upto. After initial panic had subsided brain kicked into gear and told me to pull the spark plug lead which killed it and gave me a massive shock in the process :( quick inspection couldn't work out why it's reving and running flat out so I started it again and exactly the same happened so that's where I left it lol

Thelegg

Reaction score
Well finally had some time to work on this kart again. So first things first cleaned all the old fuel out again and tried to start it. As expected same as last time it was reving flat out so plug lead off to stop it. Cable not stuck anywhere and the slide in the carb is moving up and down but not enough to close the gap inside the carb when looking in the end. Bit of fiddling I discovered that the slide in the carb can go in 3 different ways, not sure why but never mind all sorted and now idles fine.

Right then test drive time! Tried to steer, hold my camera and change gear which proved very hard in a bumpy field lol only managed 2nd gear also so very slow and the throttle cable kept getting caught up in my boot which is why it was reving funny

Issues that have come to my attention, above mentioned throttle cable and the plug lead jumps off if you hit a big hole so fixed them next, cover/guide made for throttle cable
IMG_20230530_161206.jpg

Plug lead held in with cable ties as couldn't see another way
IMG_20230530_161156.jpg can't work out why the key no longer stops the engine so fitted another kill switch :) put in a few more laps of my field and it's very very fun! Got to 4th gear and the corners were coming up very quick at this point lol definitely needs some padding in the seat tho or even a slightly smaller seat that holds you in as it certainly tries to throw you out at every bump

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Well finally had some time to work on this kart again. So first things first cleaned all the old fuel out again and tried to start it. As expected same as last time it was reving flat out so plug lead off to stop it. Cable not stuck anywhere and the slide in the carb is moving up and down but not enough to close the gap inside the carb when looking in the end. Bit of fiddling I discovered that the slide in the carb can go in 3 different ways, not sure why but never mind all sorted and now idles fine.

Right then test drive time! Tried to steer, hold my camera and change gear which proved very hard in a bumpy field lol only managed 2nd gear also so very slow and the throttle cable kept getting caught up in my boot which is why it was reving funny

Issues that have come to my attention, above mentioned throttle cable and the plug lead jumps off if you hit a big hole so fixed them next, cover/guide made for throttle cable
View attachment 138687

Plug lead held in with cable ties as couldn't see another way
View attachment 138688 can't work out why the key no longer stops the engine so fitted another kill switch :) put in a few more laps of my field and it's very very fun! Got to 4th gear and the corners were coming up very quick at this point lol definitely needs some padding in the seat tho or even a slightly smaller seat that holds you in as it certainly tries to throw you out at every bump
You can grab the metal part of the plug lead and bend it a bit, I've done it before to keep a lead on. Try and if it doesn't work for you what did you lose? This thing looks like loads of fun, you have anyone to race?

Thelegg

Reaction score
It's a really odd plug, it's got like a screw on cap with a clip that stops it working lose. Then the whole plug fits snug in the lead. so when I squashed the inside of the plug lead all it does then is pulls the stupid cap off the top the plug it's self 🤷 hence my cable tie solution lol. I have friends and family that will race or drive my karts when they come round so I'm not always doing solo laps :) I'll try and get a phone holder so I can do better recording so you can see some better laps

Thelegg

Reaction score
Bit of an update, made a cushion for the seat
IMG_20230626_084123.jpg

Not sure I'm happy with the blue fabric but it's all I had to hand lol.

Bought a new holder for my phone/camera so some better videos of laps will be coming soon 😀

Thelegg

Reaction score
went to start this the other day and film some laps but it wouldn't start, thought fuel was bad again so tried some fresh but still no good. Seems I've lost spark now :( ordered a new plug, lead and coil but if that doesn't work Ive also ordered a complete new wiring loom seeing as this one is butchered abit.

Thought I'd film some laps on my other kart (old red) but by the time I finished the lap my phone was turned off... Upon further inspection it appears the rough track has now also shaken the wires loose inside my phone so it turns itself off constantly now without hardly touching it 🤣 ooooops