DIY 5 speed shifter kart

Thelegg

Reaction score
I haven't dropped of the face of the earth lol updates will come soon just flat out with other jobs at the moment 😓

Thelegg

Reaction score
Hi, spent a whole day trying to sort out the wiring loom for the electronic start and got nowhere :( I chucked all the loom back together and started the engine by hot wiring the starter straight off a battery. I've got a short video of it running but no idea how to upload it on here ?

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Good to hear it running even if you started it without the button.

I have had a few challenges with the with the harness on my project, but most of the time the issues are with things that plug into the harness :) or the person that is doing the plugging and unplugging.

Use your voltmeter, test light and a schematic to scare most of the problems away.

Congrats again on first firing. Sounds good !

Thelegg

Reaction score
Good to hear it running even if you started it without the button.

I have had a few challenges with the with the harness on my project, but most of the time the issues are with things that plug into the harness :) or the person that is doing the plugging and unplugging.

Use your voltmeter, test light and a schematic to scare most of the problems away.

Congrats again on first firing. Sounds good !
Yeah I chased all the wires with my volt meter and even a test light and everything works yet doesn't work when all plugged together which is why I gave up lol I think what I might do is completely redo the wiring so that the key switch and starter system are all new/separate with brand new solenoid etc

Thelegg

Reaction score
We have progress, completely rewired the starter to a new switch with all new wires and it all works perfectly, it even charges the battery when running :) slight issue tho is it doesn't want to rev up without the choke so would I be right in thinking this is a jetting issue in the carb ?

jamyers

Reaction score
... it doesn't want to rev up without the choke so would I be right in thinking this is a jetting issue in the carb ?

Looks good! I'd bet that the carb needs a good cleaning - assuming it's the carb that came with the engine, it should be jetted close enough - and much more likely to need a good bath after sitting.

Thelegg

Reaction score
Looks good! I'd bet that the carb needs a good cleaning - assuming it's the carb that came with the engine, it should be jetted close enough - and much more likely to need a good bath after sitting.

I did completely strip n clean the carb in order to get it running in the bike before removing the engine, my reasoning behind questioning the jet was because I've removed all the factory air intake etc so running a k&n cone filter so thought more air could be leaning it out ?

jamyers

Reaction score
hmm...ok, with those slide valve carbs, you can unscrew the top, pull the slide out, and usually there's a little bitty clip that holds a tapered rod in one of (usually) 5 slots - the farther up slots let the rod hang lower, which will give you a leaner mix (if that makes sense). You can try raising the rod, and see if that helps, and if it seems better but adjusting the rod doesn't go far enough, then you can get a bigger jet.

Thelegg

Reaction score
hmm...ok, with those slide valve carbs, you can unscrew the top, pull the slide out, and usually there's a little bitty clip that holds a tapered rod in one of (usually) 5 slots - the farther up slots let the rod hang lower, which will give you a leaner mix (if that makes sense). You can try raising the rod, and see if that helps, and if it seems better but adjusting the rod doesn't go far enough, then you can get a bigger jet.
Cheers, I did read a little into the carbs a while back when I was thinking about fitting a mikuni style carb onto my gx200 kart, will have a fiddle with it sometime but for now my next step is to get the floor plate and seat refitted and take it for a spin :) once I know everything is working I'll then strip it down and paint it ready for the summer :)

Thelegg

Reaction score
Not much of an update I'm afraid as the kart has taken a back seat again due to other jobs but the floor pan is now fitted along with the seat but it wouldn't start due to old fuel so it's just sat in storage at the moment

Thelegg

Reaction score
Hi all long time no update sorry about that. Everything was working out just right and I was all set to work on the kart again towards the end of the summer but I had a accident at work which resulted in me dislocating my knee cap so everything came to a sudden halt :(
FB_IMG_1638485235629.jpg
I am back on my feet working again now but it's been a long recovery. I'm hoping there will be some more updates on the actual kart after Christmas

Thelegg

Reaction score
Picked up 2 more karts at a local sale... Because you can never have too many projects right 😅
Screenshot_20211207_081043_com.facebook.katana.jpg
Screenshot_20211207_081038_com.facebook.katana.jpg

The red one is pretty bad condition seized everything and no engine but the black one is basically ready to drive just needs a carb clean and brakes serviced