Disposable carburetors?

Bucket

New member
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Location
Central PA
I have a Kandi 110 with the Honda Z clone motor and have been doing some rehab to it since we can't do anything else. I pulled the carb and was going to clean it, but there is nothing to disassemble. You can't even take the bowl off to get to the jets!

Is this normal with these clones?

A new carb is only $20, so it's not really worth worrying about it too much.
 

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Messages
860
Reaction score
18
Location
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
What!? Maybe the bowl is threaded on? They had to assemble it somehow.... please post a couple pics. A PZ19 is what I imagine you're looking at, if you want a better quality replacement , Mikuni makes a 19mm (vm16) but it will take longer to get. I got one for my 50cc Honda clone and I couldn't be happier with it!
 

Attachments

  • 20200406_103711.jpg
    20200406_103711.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 5

Bucket

New member
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Location
Central PA
Yes, it's a PZ19. I've opened what I'd thought was about all kinds of carbs, but I don't ever recall seeing one that you couldn't remove the bowl easily.
 

Attachments

  • Resized_20200406_114905_4148.jpg
    Resized_20200406_114905_4148.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Resized_20200406_115019_2610.jpg
    Resized_20200406_115019_2610.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 11

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Maybe someone ground off the head to make clearance for some other part where it once fited.....

Off hand there is a slight protruding amount on the through side.
You might be able to stick it ever so carefully in a vice or even vicegrips, and turn the carb to break the fastener seal...
Once its a little looser, you might be able to cut a slot in it and use a flathead to unscrew it....
Replace the screw with a new one after the removal...
 

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Messages
2,468
Reaction score
132
Location
North West Arkansas
I think those have the bolts that the head snaps off when they get to torque like some ignition switches do. Your only real option is to cut a slot in it for a screwdriver and replace the bolts, or just replace the whole carb. They do that to keep people from messing with the insides of them.
 

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Messages
860
Reaction score
18
Location
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Vise grips (file flat spots on opposite sides) and cutting a slot would be my go to also but I'd drill a centered 1/16" pilot hole (about a 1/4" deep) first in case that doesn't work, then you can use a 3/16" drill bit to pop the heads off. It usually leaves enough to still get vise grips on what's left of the screw but file flats again. If all else fails, bail!
 

Bucket

New member
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Location
Central PA
Well, I wasn't really having any trouble with it, so for now I just cleaned it up and blew it out a bit. If I do decide that I need to get them out, I'll probably us a left twist bit first. Although the slot for a screwdriver would probably work as well. But for $20, I doubt I'll mess with it too much.
 

Karttekk

Well-known member
Messages
2,024
Reaction score
732
Location
Elizabeth, PA
I've purchased KF Standard of Japan 150cc carbs that were shipped like that. No bowl screws and the mixture screw is capped. They're plug & play and not meant to be tampered with. I use them as test carbs when I run into an unusual diagnostic issue. Can't go wrong for the price. I've removed the mixture screw caps in mine to at least try to get a smooth idle when testing something.

https://www.drowsports.com/gy6-150cc-stock-carburetor-fixed-bowl/
 
Top