Desulfators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
I haven't been inside one of those WalMart chargers, so I'm not sure about those.

An easy for-sure way, Go to RadioShack and get a $15 dollar, 25.2V transformer, 6A bridge rectifier, and capacitor. The transformer outputs more than the specs @ 26V, and about half of that (13V) if you use the center tap to get half voltage. Even though it's a 26V transformer, we are only interested in the 13V since we are charging 12V car batteries. The peak of the AC sinewave converted to DC is (13vRMS x 1.414 = 18.38V DC)

Connect the yellow AC wires to the AC terminals on the Bridge Rectifier. Put the Battery Positive to the + on the bridge rectifier, and the Battery negative to the black center tap wire on the transformer to get your 13V RMS, 18.3V unregulated peak output. Connect the 2200uf capacitor in parallel to the battery. The capacitor is very important, to filter the electric, and to allow it to peak over 18V.

BTW, the transformer in my battery charger is connected this same exact way as the RadioShack transformer. Most old type 12V transformer battery chargers use this topology from a 26V transformer, but without the capacitor.

I lost you at the bridge... recerter thingie.

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Reaction score
dude are you some EE or what? thats like *woosh* over my head

One day I will be. I consider myself a self-proclaimed engineer, as I have learned many times over what any school could ever teach me. However, I'm still looking for a career I can use this knowledge for.

School is a joke, you can learn much more when you think for yourself.

It's about an open mind, drive to learn and achieve, and looking around on the internet, and reading, and most of all, experience. ANY of you can learn this, it just takes a lot of work, but it's well worth it.

I regularly post on diyaudio.com as well, and have made several amplifiers, and power supplies. I also have a 2 year Associate's Degree in computers, but however, I find Electronics WAY more satisfying in comparison.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
id love to make electronics stuff like that. but money is always been an issue. and also me trying to do too many things at once

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
One day I will be. I consider myself a self-proclaimed engineer, as I have learned many times over what any school could ever teach me. However, I'm still looking for a career I can use this knowledge for.

School is a joke, you can learn much more when you think for yourself.

It's about an open mind, drive to learn and achieve, and looking around on the internet, and reading, and most of all, experience. ANY of you can learn this, it just takes a lot of work, but it's well worth it.

I regularly post on diyaudio.com as well, and have made several amplifiers, and power supplies. I also have a 2 year Associate's Degree in computers, but however, I find Electronics WAY more satisfying in comparison.

:iagree: with almost everything you say, including the school is a joke stuff, except, unless you have any proof that you went to school (certs and stuff) no one will hire you. :-(

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Reaction score
Nice message for all the youngsters on here. I think I will stay in school for now.

It's a great message. It's positive too. I encourage people to use their full mind.

Public schools tend to mislead youngsters into believing that you learn everything from school, and discourage thinking for yourself. School teaches obedience, not really true knowledge.

College was a much greater experience for me, but it won't promise you a better job, it just gives you a better chance of more knowledge and the Degree to help improve your odds, but it's no guarantee.

Stay in school, of course, but don't get your hopes up when they don't teach you what you were hoping to really learn. For example, you know about Jr Dragsters by experience, and learning and thinking for yourself. School couldn't even scratch the surface.

Use school as a basis for your knowledge to get started, to help you to learn better on your own. True knowledge is obtained by learning and thinking for yourself.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
School, pah, useless :rolleyes:

BRB Homework :)

On a completely nother subject... WOOOOOOT CHOPPER WORKS.

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Reaction score
I just got a few more free batteries now. People are very willing to give away their "bad" batteries that don't work anymore. :cheers2:

1st battery, an old car battery from a wreck, that sat until it drained and sulfated, and would no longer hold a charge.

The second battery is a regular wet cell lead acid 180CA Riding-Lawnmower battery

The third battery is an old AGM motorcycle battery.

I rewired my 120V DC desulfator cord, by running it in series with two powerful 150W floodlights (giving me ~75W total, and running them half bright) and it feeds the batteries over 1/2 an amp. With the higher power, it charges batteries now by itself, but slowly.

The new 120V charge cord forced them all to take a charge. The car battery charged up fine on the battery charger after a few hours of treatment with the desulfator cord. The case leaks slightly around the top of the car battery from past physical damage, but it starts my car just fine after a couple good charge cycles! I couldn't save the AGM as it only got to 11.75V and got VERY hot during charging, especially if I used the regular 2/10A battery charger. The 180CA lawnmower battery took a charge great, and was full after several hours on the 120V desulfator. That lawnmower battery seems 100% fine like there was nothing ever wrong with it! SCORE! :thumbsup:

I love how on any "dead" battery with the 120V cord, the voltage starts high on the battery, then drops to 10-11V within a few seconds, and starts it charging from the bottom!

Status
Not open for further replies.