Cr250??

Status
Not open for further replies.

schw1nd

Reaction score
Im in the market of buying an engine for my first shifter kart i know the basics of building engines and assembling Karts, learned from my uncle whose built two karts wen i was a younger (topping out at 35-45 mph). Mostly Briggs and Stratton motors.Im older and would like to get going much faster but dont wanna to be stupid and expensive and go out and get a 600cc engine. Im thinking a Honda CR250 would be nice? Wat would be a good price for a used one and how much power and speed would i be looking at?
Thanks
Schw1nd

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
for a running cr250 you probably be looking at anywhere from 500-1000. Depending on the year it should give you atleast 30hp (the newer ones should do over 40) and with 30hp could be geared for atleast 80. The thing about a cr250 is that its a 2 stroke and the low end is gonna suck, if this is a street kart i'd say go for it and gear it for 80 and have fun, but if your gonna be off road at all i'd look for a crf 250 (if you want honda).

robin

Reaction score
lol go all out and put a cr 500 lump in it or a macio 685 2 stroke

my fred has a ktm 250 nd its about 50hp

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Yea, I know someone with a 2008 KTM 300exc 300cc 2-stroke. It has ALL the hot up parts and is a beast. Wheel spin in any gear at any speed (on dirt).

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
2 strokes have low end. It depends on the engine. My 490 will lift the front vertical right off idle and continue through every gear...

schw1nd

Reaction score
thanks...gearing is all new to me..wat ratio will i need to gear it for 80? and yes its a road kart so i wont need alot of low end..

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
put the engine in top gear, turn the crankshaft over and until the output shaft turns over once. So say you turn the crankshaft 1 turn and the output turns 1 time that would be a 1:1 ratio, then from there you can figure out the right gear ratio for 80. You also need to know engine rpm, and tire size.

schw1nd

Reaction score
well im basically trying make a ballsy shifter cart....but im new to something that powerful and will prolly take a long time...thanks for the advice were do u recommend i buy a fairly new used motor? i tried ebay but mostly came up with full bikes etc and i really only want just the motor? any other sites u suggest?
thanks again

schw1nd

Reaction score
naw im not stuck on getting a cr250 i would like to get a something that i could take to a honda or yamaha shop if needed for parts, advice, help, etc. Any main stream engine will do as long as i can find parts fairly easily and i pretty sure i want 250 or a bigger cuz as Ricky Bobby put it.. "i wanna go fast!!"..thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.