Could use some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Most steering shafts are made from hollow tubing with a nod toward weight savings. I don't see a reason why you cannot use axle material.

Never thought of using a keyway (for a Pitman arm) in that manner. Try it!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
My current Project is using and ols 20mm Axle off a Razor Electric Buggy for the steering rod.
I like the idea of using the Keyway for the pitman arm too, Usually they are welded and a process to change in the future.
Just make sure and use quality Split type Locking Collars to hold it in place.
If you were to lose a Key... NO STEERING!:surrender:

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Yes i would make it very sturdy, I definitely don't want a mailbox in the face at 30 mph if I lose steering... another question, i have been reading on old threads a bit about Ackerman, caster, camber, toe out/in, that kind of thing. I read that it is best to keep tie rods parallel, that a kart should have minimal camber and toe, but 10 degrees of positive caster? Is this correct for my kart (some off road, mostly gravel road, some paved).

Ebrownie

Reaction score
By the way, I also made this model of it in SketchUp, after revising the plan a bit. I'm gonna be really busy this winter with basketball (I plan to start in February on this project once our shop gets cleared out a bit), so I am perfecting my design so i don't go crazy just thinking about instead of building it. I made the wheelbase shorter so now the wheelbase:track is about 4:3(I think it is 60 inches: 46 inches, not sure). I also decided to put a roll cage on it, which I think looks pretty good. I am using a 2 stroke 125 dirt bike engine, not sure whether YZ, CR, KX or RM yet. Whatever pops up on Craigslist for a good price. I will put the engine on the back right (on top of the shaft) and the radiator on the left. I'm not totally done with the model by the way, I will still do steering and floor and stuff like that. What do you guys think?

Dimensions: frame: 6ft by 3ft. 2ft wide at tapered section up front. 5 inches clearance. Roll cage 3 ft above frame.

Attachments

• IMG_3650.jpg
    IMG_3650.jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 9

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I'm not fond of the angled bend on the cage's "B" pillar, to use an automotive designation. I would just use straight tubing from the floor up.

Other than that, no real qualms about the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.