Could use some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Ok so this is my first kart build that I have ever done. I am aware that I should probably start on a project that would be easier but I think that I could do this. Obviously drawing it up is quite easier than building it, but I drew up what I thought would be good. My plan is to build a shifter kart with an older 2-stroke dirt bike motor (anywhere from 80-200 cc).it will be a live axle. I will build the frame and basically make the whole thing.
The drawing looks ok from what I can tell, but obviously I don't really know. The only problem is, from my measures, the tie rods would be 18 inches long and I can't find any that long. This may mean that I should narrow my front end or something, I don't really know what the dimensions of it should be. I haven't bought anything for it yet (besides the rear wheels that I already have) so I want to get it all figured out before I buy stuff. Any advice is appreciated!
(Please excuse my bad handwriting in the pic)

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 25

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
Looks good, get to work.. Post pics of your progress.. These guys here love pics. What are you using round or square tubing. And buy extra erasers.. (cutting and Grinding disk)

Ebrownie

Reaction score
1" square tubing. I will probably put some sort of gussets on the joints to reinforce the welds also.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Oh and I also had another question. I can't find any 1/2" spindles so I plan on making some. Can I just use a regular bolt with nuts to go through the front hubs?

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
Get a 12 pack, get the steering wheel and seat. clear a spot in the garage. Sit in the seat with a cold one in one hand and the steering wheel in the other... Feel free to make engine noises at this point... Build what comes to mind.

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Get a 12 pack, get the steering wheel and seat. clear a spot in the garage. Sit in the seat with a cold one in one hand and the steering wheel in the other... Feel free to make engine noises at this point... Build what comes to mind.

My dad might give me a funny look if he saw me sitting in our shop with a 12 pack. I am a few years young for that.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Ok sounds good with the spindles. The reason I need 1/2" is because I plan on using these wheels.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Wheels...4-WHEEL-ASSEMBLY-1-2-BALL-BEARINGS-1-4197.axd

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Well thanks for the help. Realistically I probably won't get started on this project for at least a couple weeks because I still need to gather up some parts. I will start a build thread when I start though.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

How do I upgrade the bearings when they are already I'm the rim?

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

*on

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
Knock them out from the other side using an old bolt or rod. alternate the area you hit on the bearings 12 o'clock 6, 3, 9 they come out in a few whacks. Then you have bearings for a Jack shaft. Waste not want not.

OzFab

Reaction score

Indeed :toetap05: Always remember, this is a family forum...

Upgrade the bearings to 5/8"

...Or, for that price, search for adequate wheels with 5/8 bearings already fitted; there are many available...

The main issue I see with your design is the wheelbase is a bit long; wheelbase:track ratio should be around 4:3, yours is currently at 5:3; given your track measurement is ~43", the wheelbase should be no more than 57"...

Why? A long wheelbase decreases stability (rolls easier) & increases the turning circle...

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
My dad might give me a funny look if he saw me sitting in our shop with a 12 pack. I am a few years young for that.

Notice no word was spoken regarding the contents of said 12 pack. I say pick your beverage of choice and remember: many perfectly innocuous sodas and soft drinks have a nice 'zing' to them... Mountain Dew, Monster, Rock Star, Red Bull...

Almost anything can stimulate one's creative juices.

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Very true, although it would be unusual to reference a non-alcoholic drink as a 'cold one'. I would prefer a gallon of sweet tea, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.