Comet 40 - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KartKat

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
So I'm brand new here and brand new to karts. I bought a Brister's Big Thunder about 2 weeks ago and have been trying to learn as much as possible since. The kart has an 11hp tecumseh mated to a comet 40 series. I rode it once and threw the chain. Promptly learned about sprocket alignment (it was way off). The kart also is very slow to get going, so I got to learn about belt sizing (it was way off). So here's where I'm at...
I pulled the Comet 40 driver and started to clean it, pics attached (I hope). It had some pretty bad rust/pitting on the sheaves. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's "clean" enough or not based on the image? I was worried about taking too much metal off......
Also, I can't figure out how to get the driven off the jackshaft. I pulled the snap ring off but it feels like something else is holding it. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance
 

Attachments

  • 20161214_172100.jpg
    20161214_172100.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20161202_094527.jpg
    20161202_094527.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 12

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
4,476
Location
Southern New Mexico
Welcome to the zoo!

I'm not sure about the pitting, but the sheaves look ok. I took a brillo thingee and the air tool to mine, gets them real shiny.

As far as the driven it might be stuck on the jack shaft. Soak it in pb blaster or something.
 

KartKat

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the reply.... I did the pb blaster thing and the driven still doesn't seem to budge. I'm working with a very limited knowledge base here as I have been trying to teach myself so bare with me on my logic.
The driven is mounted on the jackshaft with the spring inboard as it should be. As you can see in the pic the shaft is keyed. The snap ring sits about an inch out the shaft for the driven, so in a clean/new (not rusted) set up what would stop the driven from sliding out to the snap ring and ending up out of alignment. My understanding is that the key just stops rotation.... Just trying to understand before I go beating or pulling on this thing:huh:
 

Bbqjoe

Banned
Messages
3,455
Reaction score
67
Location
Location, Location
Great Horny toads!!!!!
Your driven is on backwards. No wonder you have trouble!!!

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

KartKat said:
The driven is mounted on the jackshaft with the spring inboard as it should be.

Who on God's green earth told you that????
 

KartKat

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
The Internet..... So it's gotta be true!
In all seriousness I do believe the Comet 40 series, symmetrical, with a red spring on the driven, gets mounted opposite the driver, and inboard.
 

Bbqjoe

Banned
Messages
3,455
Reaction score
67
Location
Location, Location
I'm going to guess the nut is on the other side of your back plate on the same spindle.

Remove the nut, and try to take, or knock the shaft back through the jack shaft, if you can.
Then try to get the driven to slide down the shaft away from where the C clip was.

Let us know if you even get that far.
 

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Messages
216
Reaction score
1
Location
Blanchard Oklahoma
The flat faces have got be on the same side. The 30 and 40 series mounts the same way. What kind of jackshaft is on it? I can't tell from the picture.
 

KartKat

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Couldn't tell you what kind of jackshaft it is other than its maybe 14" long with a couple of keyways and connected to the mount with 2 pillow bearings......
Pic of opposite side attached
 

Attachments

  • 20161202_094918.jpg
    20161202_094918.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 7

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
4,476
Location
Southern New Mexico
A 40 is symmetrical.

Great job gettin pics to post but your camera angles are hard to make out what needs to be seen.

My tc is held on to a keyed shaft by a nut.
The snap ring holds the driven unit together.
 

KartKat

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I can't find any nuts anywhere on the thing.... I'll try for better pics in the am...
 

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Messages
216
Reaction score
1
Location
Blanchard Oklahoma
Loosen your set screw on your pillow blocks and sprocket, I use a 50/50 mix acetone and transmission fluid in a spray bottle with a small amount of heat. Tap. On the block and sprocket, soak again let set over night and repeat.
 

Bbqjoe

Banned
Messages
3,455
Reaction score
67
Location
Location, Location
The Internet..... So it's gotta be true!
In all seriousness I do believe the Comet 40 series, symmetrical, with a red spring on the driven, gets mounted opposite the driver, and inboard.

You show me a picture of that, and I'll show you picture of someone who has their driven on wrong.
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,993
Reaction score
8,505
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
Kart Kat your driven is on correctly, DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE CLOWNS! 30 and 40 series cvts are totally different animals. Driven is just rust stuck on the shaft. Penetrating oil, heat, brute force and patience are you're best friends right now. The belt keeps the driven lined up correctly. The driven is just set up to float. :thumbsup:



Denny
 

Bbqjoe

Banned
Messages
3,455
Reaction score
67
Location
Location, Location
I don't care what the diagram shows. Either way, you got something wrong going on there.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 8.05.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 8.05.49 PM.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 6

KartKat

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you Denny.... That makes total sense. I had never considered that the driven may "float". I had myself convinced that something other than rust was holding it..... I'll take another crack at it tomorrow :wai:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top