• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Colder than a well diggers rear in a Siberian suburb !!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
We've been dealing with the possibility of rolling blackouts. Southern parts of Lincoln today had power cut for 30 minutes, twice today due to high energy demands from the cold. Southwest Power Pool runs the majority of the power companies from North Dakota to Texas.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
It's been warm and wet here in central Alabama... bulb plants are pushing upward 2-3 inches in my yard, but we are supposed to have 21* F tonight and that's cold enough to make snow if we don't get any accumulation from the cold front.

I made a snow machine from a set of nozzles that I got from SnowAtHome.com and it worked !
20210203_074503.jpg
Just add a power washer, air compressor and some fittings then wait for 28 degree weather (wet bulb).

Pics of snow in Alabama to follow in the AM...

jmaack

Reaction score
It's been warm and wet here in central Alabama... bulb plants are pushing upward 2-3 inches in my yard, but we are supposed to have 21* F tonight and that's cold enough to make snow if we don't get any accumulation from the cold front.

I made a snow machine from a set of nozzles that I got from SnowAtHome.com and it worked !
View attachment 125431
Just add a power washer, air compressor and some fittings then wait for 28 degree weather (wet bulb).

Pics of snow in Alabama to follow in the AM...
I think that might be the only snow we get.

KMEFA

Reaction score
32 days till the first day of spring here in the Midwest ,, ''yea right'' ! :rolleyes:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
6 days until it's about 40⁰F here. Today, we go with very little heat at work because of the supposed strain on the power grid. Probably wouldn't be an issue, if they would build more power plants or more generators at least to accommodate for heat waves and arctic freezes like this. I mean, these do happen from time to time, at least have something in place.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210216-065055_Weather.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216-065055_Weather.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1

KMEFA

Reaction score
We are supposed to see upper 30's next week also. Looks like ''mid'' next week,, & that weekend,,, we might even see 40 ! 🏝️ lol
Am not even going to bother going to the car wash to get the salt off... Instead ,, I will just drive thru big puddles,,, cause there is going to be '' a lot'' of them.

Last edited:

karl

Reaction score
We've been dealing with the possibility of rolling blackouts. Southern parts of Lincoln today had power cut for 30 minutes, twice today due to high energy demands from the cold. Southwest Power Pool runs the majority of the power companies from North Dakota to Texas.

I think it's a good idea to keep a convection kerosene heater on standby.
Required no power, and kerosene can be stored for a long time.
Can keep your house from freezing.

I have natural gas and generators, but the furnace can still fail.
So I have one kicking around, have lent it out for this reason.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to it being exactly TWO degrees. Fahrenheit. For all you metric folks out there that's around -17 degrees Celsius! 🥶

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Yea, @jmaack we are getting some real snowflakes too ! It was in the low 20's this morning.
20210216_074838.jpg
Thr snow day is a nice contrast to the flowers already coming up in turn 1 of my track.
20210216_082626.jpg
The ground is not frozen, so walking on the snow melts it here !

We are still running 3 bricks on our 30k BTU gas heater in the house. I can turn it up to 5 bricks if it gets really cold.

Last edited:

jmaack

Reaction score
Yea, @jmaack we are getting some real snowflakes too ! It was in the low 20's this morning.
View attachment 125435
Thr snow day is a nice contrast to the flowers already coming up in turn 1 of my track.
View attachment 125436
The ground is not frozen, so walking on the snow melts it here !

We are still running 3 bricks on our 30k BTU gasthough. in the house. I can turn it up to 5 bricks if it gets really cold.
same here I went for a drive this morning went down 31 in pelham, no ice just fluffy snow. Starting to slack up some now though. This is by the lower tank farms off 65.

Attachments

• 20210216_081022.jpg
    20210216_081022.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to keep a convection kerosene heater on standby.
Required no power, and kerosene can be stored for a long time.
Can keep your house from freezing.

I have natural gas and generators, but the furnace can still fail.
So I have one kicking around, have lent it out for this reason.

Love to have one on hand, but I'm still in an apartment hopefully only until the summer. Eventually would like to have a back-up generator from Generac. Probably a 15kw Natural gas and just have it plumbed into the house gas line. If we ever build a house, building one with a wood burning stove with insert to help warm it up.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
I snow blowed cars out and i had a little 2 stroke snow blower and even the big beafy 1000$ snow blowers where having trouble the snow is keeping everything stuck. and i made 100$ getting people out and my parents paid me 20 for getting their cars unstuck, it was warm out yesterday. And of course my yerfdog got impounded i was just helping people out and driving around to ask if anyone needed helped. But now the chute of my snow blower is broken due to ice and rock but man it did an awesome job.

KMEFA

Reaction score
yerfdog got impounded ?? :unsure:

Added,,
I came up with a slick trick years back for helping keep snow ect. from sticking in the chutes & augers ect.

As long as those parts are metal or rubber,, spray them with cooking spray like Pam,, & it's bio degradable. ;)

That stuff I found out has an adverse affect on some ''old'' plastics though,, & will make them brittle & crack.

A good ''thick'' Carnauba paste wax works real well also,, & won't hurt the plastic parts.

Added again,,

Just saw your posts about the Cops messing with you. :rolleyes:

That's one reason why my 2 Kart projects are going to be electric.

Those are really not anymore illegal than an E - bike or electric skateboard /scooter,, mobility scooter,,, ''at least in these parts'',,,, as long as you have lights & flags.

Some places I have seen though,, have a clause on how high of watt. motors you can run.
Have seen max of 500w,, but as long as the cops can't see the sticker on the motor that says that,, they wouldn't have a clue,,, & would basically be what you tell them it is. ;)

Last edited:

KMEFA

Reaction score
Depends where you are city your fine small town is zero tolerence to go karts
Around here it's opposite.

Where I live, ''outside of Cedar Rapids'',, is in a very large Subdivision adjacent a small town,,, there is a ''ton'' of Golf karts, 4 wheelers,, some Mini bikes'',,, ect. ect. ,,, that cruise around here, & the Sheriff ect. doesn't fret with us at all.
Golf kart Guys even cruise around with open containers, even going around the town,, & the cops don't say anything. :p

If you did that in Cedar Rapids,, it would be a total different story.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Just my area has big issues with anything motorized at all where i used to live nobody minded as long as you werent destroying peoples property we did 50-60mph down every long road we could find and straight up raced go karts on a daily basis. Also the dang cop hasnt been in his office today and i cant get the dang go kart out of impound being theres a cop car in the way. Anyway back on topic!