Cold start

bgcrawford1983

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a brand new Chinese go-kart with the Honda clone engine I believe, that I got my kids for Christmas. The first few days it started perfect with the choke on. Now to get it to start after has set for about 20 minutes or so I have to reach back and mess with the governor linkage underneath the fuel tank and let off it just the right time as I'm cranking the battery for it to start. Is there any adjustment to this or something else wrong? Otherwise when warm it starts perfectly fine and seems to run great.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Could be the idle mix adjustment...
I would suspect an adjustment when I get something new from far away that dont work quite right.

I had a weed eater that would not run without the choke on or run near full throttle. I researched the specific model on the web and found this is a common problem with the brand I had because the factory was far away at a high altitude and I live around 450 feet elevation.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Could you post pics of your engine? I bet it's some kind of GY6, I've heard they frequently have solenoid based cold starting fuel systems (like there'll frequently be a solenoid regulating fuel flow into the carburetor bowl). Of note, the main reason I've heard about these is because I've heard many incidents of said solenoid failing.........

bgcrawford1983

Reaction score
Is there a better carb I can buy? Today it was very difficult to start even with moving the governor while cranking.

jamyers

Reaction score
Before you throw money at it, pull the carb off, take it apart, and give it a good cleaning. Odds are there's a tiny bit of trash blocking a passage.

pearl111

Reaction score
Looks like you where ridding through some mud and dirt (having fun doing so) but anyways it's possible a little debris found its way into the carb.
I think its worth trying first ( cleaning the carb. like jamyers suggested) That's what I would do.

bgcrawford1983

Reaction score
Took the carb off and soaked it overnight. It seems to start the same as before. Is there any chance that the valves could have tightened up during break in and the need adjusted?

bgcrawford1983

Reaction score
I can't see any debris in the tank this morning. It also has a strainer type filter in the top of the tank where you fill it.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Remove the air filter element from the air box & see if it got soaked with water or siphon out the gas tank and replace the fuel with fresh. You may have gotten water in the fuel system. Something happened when you went out riding in water or puddles. Pull the spark plug and see if it's fouled (black). If so gap a new plug and install it.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I'm wondering where you got the gas to fill up that brand new tank with. New tank, new carb, new motor, none of that's going to matter if you pour shellac into it. That can of old lawnmower gas (hopefully not mixed 50:1 with 2-cycle oil) that hasn't been completely empty in years, just topped off sometimes, cannot be depended on for anything. If that's where the gas came from, how do you know it had fuel stabilizer poured into it every time it got new gas?
Start with a clean slate. Get a brand new gas can with a cap you won't lose and have to substitute for with a rag stuffed in the hole. Measure how much REGULAR gas you put in the can. Then follow the chart on a bottle of Sta-Bil or similar stabilizer, and put that much in the can and shake it around BEFORE adding it to the kart tank (having emptied the tank before you do). Label the can as "89 octane kart gasoline only".
Loosen the bolt head on the bottom of the carb bowl and drain it of old gas.
Find the (black plastic?) screw that pushes on the throttle above the carb, that's your idle screw. Run it in clockwise enough to see it move the throttle some. Then LOCK DOWN the kart before cranking. That higher idle that helps it crank might engage the centrifugal clutch and get it running down the street. After running over the dog. And the kids.