clutch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartgofast

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi yall, Im new here,
probably a pretty simple question, but I just got a go kart and fixed up the engine and all that, and it runs nice. (tecumseh 5 hp
The little problem is that when I start it, the clutch instantly catches and the wheels spin, with considerable force. I cant it out, but there has to be some way to adjust the clutch. It is a Comet centrifugal clutch by the looks of it, with a bolt on the outside, and an allen key set screw on the side.
Thanks
 

solomon

Active member
Messages
1,648
Reaction score
8
Location
ca
before we assume its the clutch, i think we should rule out the engines IDLE rpm. Is the idle fast? If so it will start to move when started. If it's not that, then dismantle your clutch, and clean and lube it. Or buy a new clutch usually $40 US in most retail stores that carry them, and about $35 online.
 

kartgofast

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I think the idle speed is fine, Ive done a lot of work with these small engines before, (especially tecumseh) and I did adjust the idle a little. I dont however have any knowledge of clutches other than basic operational principals. I wouldn't know how to take it apart or lube it. thanks to those that replyed:thumbsup:
 

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Messages
4,537
Reaction score
11
Location
Michigan Troll
That bushing is kinda needed dude, especially in the comet design where the keyed bushing rides directly on the crankshaft.

With the engine off, if the clutch is not locked up, you have a fine bushing. Set you idle as low as it will go. If the above fails, it was probably overheated and killed the clutch springs.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
I had a clutch kinda like that. it got smoking ( literally) hot and it never started to engage early, just slip a lot. Most likely an idle
problem
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top