clutch and tires and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
i finaly got the engine running and semi tuned up.

i found these tires on HF, and the axle size matches up.
would that wheel work? or is it not rated for enough speed?

2nd question. what gearing ratio should i get. ive heard that 6:1 is a nice middle. so thatd be a 12 gear clutch and a 72 gear sprocket.
would that work or will the sprocket be too big?
is northern tool the best place for sprocket and clutch and chain?

3rd question. would this work for mounting the sprocket? no brakes for right now.

4rth question. anyone know the HP rating of this motor? looks like a flathead briggs with a bowl carb

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
1. Those tires might be ok, i dont see why not.
2.I'd do a 12/60 that will be good with those tires,and yes northern is great.
3.Try to find sprocket measurements at nt and go from there or bring the hub to northern and try to find a sprocket that matches up.
4.Dont know hp rating, but its a Tecumseh

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
do not do not buy those harbor frieght rim tire combos they are junk busted 2 tires in one day.never again now if its for a little kid in the grass they would be fine.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
IDk about little kid in grass, but should be under 250lb for kart and driver, and its going to be mainly on packed dirt.

havent seen any stamped numbers on it. I'll look closer later

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
nope. maybe its under the tank, but i dont remember there being anything under there.

heres the pic

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
i found a code where teh fuel tank is supposed to be, but it was rusted bad, so i rubbed it a bit and its worse now. :oops:
all i can make out now is GER

well the needle in the carb thats connected to the float is sticking. the needle is pushing into an o-ring, but ive never seen that. usually it just pushes into metal.

is that normal or can i remove the o-ring and bend the float back to normal?

I like karts

Rotary Power!
Reaction score
To find the numbver on the engine, put a little white-out stuff on the numbers. It fills in the grooves so you can see it better

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
float is sticking. the needle is pushing into an o-ring, but ive never seen that. usually it just pushes into metal.
I've seen both. What you probably have is a Viton 'O' ring. They break down after time due to ethanol in gasoline. To combat the alcohol problem engineers have come up with a material called 'New' Viton which is more tolerant to additives.
is that normal or can i remove the o-ring and bend the float back to normal?
Not normal. Chances are that it will not seal and is likely that you could not bend tang on float enough to make up for missing 'O' ring. To be done properly, get a carb kit. Pretty cheap and carb will be like new.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
i found out the engine code. hh60-105101f-if GER 629d

I'm guessing 6hp. not bad.

turns out the generator i have out back has a 8hp tecumseh on it. too bad the rod flew and busted the block and head

Russ2251

Reaction score
Something you might want to try. 8hp carb just may fit and work on 6hp. Worth a try.
2 through 7 hp carbs are all basically the save size venturi.
8 through 12hp used a slightly larger venturi allowing them to breath better. Just might be swappable and may (?) yield increased power.
If engine lags in transition from low to high rpm (under load) then engine is running too lean. Possible to adjust it out. If adjust doesn't work, then carb is too large and will have to switch back to original.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
maybe, b ut the 8hp carb has lots of corrosion. i'll have to take a look inside, but thats for another day

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
inside its even worse. about half a teaspoon of corroded aluminum in the bowl. and its needle was also sticking. so i kept my carb.

sunnovabitch it getting on my nerves. w/o air filter i can get it to run pretty good. but w/ the filter it only idles. touching throttle kills it. adjusting needles doesnt help.

Russ2251

Reaction score
Make sure filter is clean and not interfering with choke butterfly or linkage upon assembly.
Could be stuck ball check (internal). Difficult (if not impossible) to clear unless completely disassembled. Carb cleaners may or may not work. Might be better off looking for a good used carb. Tecumseh carbs are notoriously problematic even when properly maintained.
One of my mowers suffers with a stuck float/needle valve every spring. Sometimes a good knock with a small plastic mallet clears it. It appears this is not the problem with yours.
If you do get a new/used carb, make sure it is not an emissions type. Must have high and low speed adjustments.
Check gaskets for leaks.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
ball check?

the needle sticks all the time. ive cleaned it, even cycled it in and out a couple hundred times. might have helped it a bit.

hopefully the clutch wont engage at too low of rpms.

do tecumseh have a problem w/ the recoil starter. cause on the inside mine unscrews all the time.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
wheres the cheapest place to get the clutch chain sprocket. ebay no because shipping sucks.
northern has the cheapest sprocket and chain i can find.

I like karts

Rotary Power!
Reaction score
Clutch

Oh and btw about your gear ratio question, I usually go with 5:1 as a standard (10t clutch 54t axle) it gives more grouncd clearance and speed. 6:1 you will have insane acceleration, but you won't get going very fast

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
local shop got a clutch for $29 im gonna get that
chain is $10 for 3 ft
$12 for a sprocket thats too big for my tires. smaller ones are only online. maybe later ill drive up to northern tool.
since i dont have a large selection of clutch and sprockets its most likely going to be a 5:1

thanks guys. ill get videos whenever

Status
Not open for further replies.