Clogged fuel jet

ThisBandit

Reaction score
Lads and lassies. I have an old 4 stroke engine from an electric generator. It always died after I turned off the choke. Quickly I found the fuel jet in the carburetor is clogged up. I don't really know how to clear it. I tried unscrewing the jet but it's made of brass and can't stand up to the flat head screwdriver, it just bends and breaks and I guess the thread is seized up with rust. I bathed the carburetor in vinegar to see if it would loosen up, probably a stupid idea. Do you have any suggestions or should I just buy a new carburetor? Thanks

Attachments

• 15999089056535372512880188245696.jpg
    15999089056535372512880188245696.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 2

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Vinegar was actually a good idea, but evidently it wasn’t enough. Try getting a can of spray carburetor cleaner at an auto parts store, and some little wire brushes.
You say the jet is a bit deformed?? If the hole in the middle is affected, it may be worth it to replace the carb. I had the same problem with my old Briggs carburetor, I ended up modifying a screwdriver to fit perfectly and that worked. Basically I filed the tip to be a little wider, and filed the shaft to fit down the hole. Might wanna give it a try.

shinwrx187

Reaction score
Use lacquer thinner to clean everything out and soke. Use a aluminum tin or a paint roller tin to keep all the parts in. Check out some youtube videos to on how to completely clean your model carb. Good luck.