chuck wobble

Status
Not open for further replies.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
i have a ryobi 12" drill press. i have had it for a few months now, no problems, but i started notching tubes with it using a hole saw, this caused the thing to vibrate like crazy, the clamps would vibrate loose, in fact even the light bulb came out.

then today, i was notching a tube when the chuck fell off!

the chuck has a taper which fits against a shaft with a taper on one end. the other end of the shaft also has a taper which fits into the drill press. the shaft is still attached to to the chuck, but not the drill press.

after this happened i simply put the chuck back in and hit it with a rubber mallet (like the instructions say). but when i turned it on the chuck was very unbalanced, i took it out and tried 2 more times, no luck.....

any ideas? it was working fine before so i'm reasonably sure the wobble is between the shaft and the drill press not the chuck, but when the chuck fell it did fall 12" onto a metal base which may have messed it up.

i would really like to fix this, i'm in the middle of a project i need finished by Wednesday.....

i didn't see any problems with the shaft or the drill press, both tapers look fine.

i also checked, the drill press doesn't wobble when the chuck is not installed.

any help is appreciated, sorry if the paragraphs are a bit mashed up.

EDIT: some of the reviews report a similar problem

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
wow that really sucks. when i got my press the chuck was unassembled to the press shaft. so i just stuck it on and it stayed there. i tried to get it off but couldnt.

so i have no idea how they are suppposed to be fastened but mine did magically and i just dont pay attention to it!

do you see the shaft bent or the chuck crooked?

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
nope....

i'm going to try to clean the tapers up real good tomorrow. i just read the instructions, it says to twist it to the right, i think i have bean twisting it right before tapping it in.

my press chuck, and arbor came unassembled, for some reason it came with a tool to REMOVE the chuck....

was actually a bit comical, i just finished drilling, and i brought the bit back out, just as it stopped spinning it just fell out and i was like, what the.....

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
i'm saying to install the chuck you must turn it to the right until it pops into a slot, then hit it with a mallet

fowler

Reaction score
the chuck shaft should be tapered and then have a flat bit in the end which slots into a little groove inside the drive shaft from the drill pree

when u pull down on the handle there should be a little slot doing though the drive shaft u should see as the chuck shaft comes into veiw thought that slot

u put that tool in the slot (assuming u have what i explained) and hit it with a rubber mallet to get the chuck out. U cvan then insert much larger drill bits that have shafts like the chuck

i can only drill up to 17mm with my chuck in but with thee speical drill bits i can go to 26mm

find two old bearing that fit on the taper and put the bearing in the vice to hold them then insert the chuck and spin it to get a good look at how staight it is

a kid at school did the same thing and the chuck rolled off the table and onto the floor, it survived, i dont think the fall would cause it to bend, did u have the centre drill or guidence drill bit or what ever it is called when u were nothing

The Mechtician

Gargamel Jr.
Reaction score
the chuck has a taper which fits against a shaft with a taper on one end. the other end of the shaft also has a taper which fits into the drill press. the shaft is still attached to to the chuck, but not the drill press.
The piece you're describing is a taper adapter, so called because it is used to connect two different types of machine taper. The drive side is a Morse taper (almost always a #2) usually with a tang on the end (the little flat bit that fowler was talking about) to facilitate removal from the female taper with a drill drift. The chuck side is almost always a Jacobs taper. Judging by your description of the problem I suspect your taper adapter is bent. In order to verify this you'll need to get it out and eyeball it or roll it on a flat surface to see if it wobbles. I've attached pics of these tools & components for clarification :D

Jacobs taper wedges, for removing the chuck

Drill drift

Here's a pic of a cool tool that does the same thing without a hammer

The taper adapter

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
40mm to 13mm?

Wow that is a huge reduction! If the reduction has to be so large, does the drill press have enough power to drill with them? I know our drill press will drill a 50mm hole, at its maximum.

@ R97, there must be something bent or broken, unless you haven't installed it correctly.

Jeremy.

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
ive been meaning to get a crank on the lathe and have a crack at it sometime but shops full lately, might have a look at that little villiers sometime but no promises there ay

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
well i cleaned it up and tried again, it still vibrates way more than i think itr should, but drilling two holes through wood were perfect circles with the exact dia as the bit.
i also put the chuck and the shaft into another drill and saw no wobble.

one thing i noticed, with no chuck in the press, if you crank it up all the way and put the bit all the way down, it vibrates more, and thats without the chuck.

so i'm not sure what to think, but it drills good holes, and the chuck hasn't fallen out (yet..) so i guess i'm fine.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
crap, the problem is back, after only about 3 holes.... i'm beginning to think the problem is in the drill press itself, but only noticeable when the chuck is installed.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
i'm sorry but i don't fully understand. are you saying i should try removing the drive shaft inside the drill press, the one that connects the pulley and the shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.