Check your grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluxcored

Reaction score
I recently bought a cheap Ryobi grinder - about $15 or so and noticed that it sounded a bit rough.

I opened it and altho it was packed with grease none were on the gears itself. So i repacked it and it sounds much better now.

You can get away with cheap grinders if you treat them well. With the beating we give grinders I regard them as consumables but treat them respectfully and they'll last you a lifetime. I've got another Ryobi going for 8 years and it gets used a lot.

Same is true of any power tool, I guess.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Good tip, im sure the grease moves away from the gears really quickly though. The previous owner of my drill ( i only payed 5 bucks, and its a nice old one) didnt take care of it at all, the chuck bearing is dead.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Some of those cheap grinders only have a service life of 50 hours. In the machine shop at school we go threw tons of them.

eesakiwi

Reaction score
I have found, thru total randomness, that the way to get a good long life from your grinder, is to 'hang' it up when not in use.

I had made a bracket that goes on the wall for the grinder.

It was a simple backplate with two bits of angle iron in a 'Vee' shape that the grinders guard sits in, the rest hangs out the bottom of the 'Vee'.
Whenever I was cleaning up or not using the grinders I would place them in their 'holster'.

The grinders lasted for years & I never thought about it.

Then when I went to a different place where we had a large bench & the tools were just dumped on it flatwise, they lasted about 9 months.
So I took apart the grinders 'head' & found there was NO GREASE on any of the gears or other moving parts!

Thats when I relised that by hanging up the grinders when they were still warm, the grease would drop down onto the gears meshing parts & the top armature bearing.

That gave it the nessary lubrication & kept everything nice & tight & the only thing that wore out was the brushes...

rhytonen

Reaction score
I recently bought a cheap Ryobi grinder - about $15 or so and noticed that it sounded a bit rough.

I opened it and altho it was packed with grease none were on the gears itself. So i repacked it and it sounds much better now.

You can get away with cheap grinders if you treat them well. With the beating we give grinders I regard them as consumables but treat them respectfully and they'll last you a lifetime. I've got another Ryobi going for 8 years and it gets used a lot.

Same is true of any power tool, I guess.

Knock Knock - I've also had good luck with my $39 HD Ryobi.
(I restore and race vintage karts as my retirement hobby.)

A weldor/machinist friend swears by them, though with the volume of pro work he does, he keeps a number of them around, with different blades on, and treats them as consumables, LOL.

We amateur and shadetree types tend to religiously maintain a single tool we can afford, and the Ryobi has filled my bill on that.
THANKS for the maintenance tips, guys !!

TerryOlson

Reaction score
My cheapie Makita grinds a bit (hahaha) and sure enough when I pulled it apart the grease was everywhere except on the gears. They look brand new and I'm sure the bearings are what I'm feeling / hearing - but I added more grease and hit the bearings with a quick shot of WD40 while I was in there. I know the WD won't last long - but it sounds much better and I'm hoping that hanging it up after use will allow the grease to sag into the bearings as was suggested.

rhytonen

Reaction score
My cheapie Makita grinds a bit (hahaha) and sure enough when I pulled it apart the grease was everywhere except on the gears. They look brand new and I'm sure the bearings are what I'm feeling / hearing - but I added more grease and hit the bearings with a quick shot of WD40 while I was in there. I know the WD won't last long - but it sounds much better and I'm hoping that hanging it up after use will allow the grease to sag into the bearings as was suggested.

I find Tri-Flow is better than WD40 for augmenting grease.
-just and old kart racer's trick. We take the shields off rear axle brgs, flush out the grease, replace with Tri-Flow (OFTEN from then on,) and replace the shields. Bearings roll a lot faster but must be maintained more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.