Cheap wheels?

Reaction score
I've tried searching, but I couldn't really find anything. I have to assume this has been discussed, probably at length somewhere, but I just can't seem to find it. Where can I find cheap but decent wheels? I don't want to spend $60/ea. for my first project. I'd like to be under $100 for all 4. I was thinking like Harbor Freight dolly wheels, but I read their bearings fail super fast at high speeds. Can I get cheap but good replacement bearings for those sort of wheels, to still come under $100 for all 4?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
but I read their bearings fail super fast at high speeds.

no nono, you misunderstood..
not the bearing, the rim itself fails and collapses super fast.
(the very first chance it gets that is)

try craigslist for used ones,
or check kart suppliers (BMI, goppowersports, gokartsupply, mfgsupply)

under 100 for all 4 incl tyres will be nearly impossible new;
but a new set of rims is very well doable.

'sid

anickode

Reaction score
Some heavy duty one piece dolly wheels can work with a bearing upgrade, but the tires won't last long. I've been running a set of 6" dolly rims with high speed bearings on the front of one of my karts for a couple years, but they are real good wheels that cost as much as go kart wheels would have anyway.

Thelegg

Reaction score
Hey bud where you based? I've got some spare slick tyres that you could have for free as there just gathering dust then all you'd need to source is some cheap 2nd hand rims :)

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
That means more or less, rated at a static weight load limit, and certianly not at a speed..

Yeah. But still, 4x 300lb rated wheels, with a total load of 300, maybe 350, should be fine if I don't make hard turns or hard start/stop.

Hey bud where you based? I've got some spare slick tyres that you could have for free as there just gathering dust then all you'd need to source is some cheap 2nd hand rims :)

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks! PM sent. Also I think it's neat you have the EML-L29, I have an EVR-L29 (Mate 20 X).

Reaction score
The problem besides the wheel bearings and cheap rubber tires is that the wheels aren't made to take side loads/sheer stress. You don't put refrigerators on the dollies and run 10mph and then turn corners. The wheel can hold up to being under 300lbs and move it slowly with very little side force. Being on a gokart and turning at most any speed dramatically increases the sheer force/side load which leads very probably to a busted hub/rim. If they were made a little better then they might last with upgrades but there is a reason the HF one's are so cheap. With that said you can try them and they might work out ok for a short while if you are gentle but be forewarned that they have been used for that purpose before and there have been plenty of failures.

Kart Flipper

Too poor for power tools
Reaction score
Forgot attachment

I didn't see it on the thread, but what sizes of wheels and tires are you needing. Ran across these the other day on surplus centers website. Front is for 5/8" spindle and rear is for 3/4" keyed axle. But only $80 plus shipping and you buy different rear wheels used and have them remounted. These are tall though, so it depends on what you need.

Forgot to attach the screenshot, der

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200720-221252.jpg
    Screenshot_20200720-221252.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
He WANTS to learn the hard way it seems :(

'sid

Experimentation (aka: the hard way) is always a more interesting way to learn than reading.

I didn't see it on the thread, but what sizes of wheels and tires are you needing. Ran across these the other day on surplus centers website. Front is for 5/8" spindle and rear is for 3/4" keyed axle. But only $80 plus shipping and you buy different rear wheels used and have them remounted. These are tall though, so it depends on what you need.

Forgot to attach the screenshot, der

I don't have any components yet besides motor. That's why I didn't say what sort of wheels is it doesn't matter yet. But thank you! I'll check them out.

Reaction score
true, true...
but is contrary to the "cheap" part of the topic ;)
since you buy cheap to learn they are of no use,
and then spend the money you need to on top.

'sid

That's why I'm trying the hybrid approach. If I really wanted the cheap thing I would've already bought the HF wheels and not even ask about it. I'm really aiming for lower-mid grade equipment. Like buying Rigid tools instead of Milwaukee. Rigid tools aren't as cheap as Craftsman, Ryobi, etc, but they're not quite as high quality as Milwaukee. So lower-mid grade. But it almost seems like those don't even exist for these purposes. Like it's all cheap crap or high end and expensive.

Last edited:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
okay.. I'd put more confidence in kart-shops

so how about a 10 dollar slick 4" front:
https://www.bmikarts.com/8x300-4-Smooth-Tire-Tube-and-Rim-58-Bearing-_p_4842.html

it won't be the best I admit, but certainly should outlast the HF crap.

Now, with two out of four solved..
two more to go..

two of gps's 6" live axle wheels
https://www.gopowersports.com/13-x-5-00-6-turf-tire-live-axle-wheel-assembly-2-pack-special/
and there you are $90 (plus shipping I'm afraid)
;)

oh same sized fronts:
https://www.gopowersports.com/13-x-5-00-6-turf-tire-wheel-assembly-2-pack-special/
carlisle tyres are a bit more expensive I admit...
but 140 to me sounds fair for a set of four new lasting wheels.
...just saying...

'sid

PS honestly, get your eyes peeled on craigslist you'll certainly find good quality wheels for less in your area

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
So here ill tell you this i did it just for a temorary spare tire i had a broken hub hf wheel i made scrap metal gussets and rewelded the hub and added gussets and high speed bearings and it worked great but then the next day the tire exploded.
Also id show pics but i sold the wheel with the four wheeler it was on