Cheap sled stuff

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Probably use .023 wire and take your time.
Jake got it with .030 fluxcore, lots of good practice for him. I drilled holes after at the stock locations and made a "carbide" out of 3/8" rod. It'll be good enough since the sled is so roached anyway.
20220128_231652.jpg20220128_231659.jpg

Also figured out the shocks are sitting bottomed out when we lifted the sled up and I pushed it back down. The left side is comepletely stuck. Will look into those after the skis are together.

Attachments

• 20220128_231701.jpg
    20220128_231701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Jake got it with .030 fluxcore, lots of good practice for him. I drilled holes after at the stock locations and made a "carbide" out of 3/8" rod. It'll be good enough since the sled is so roached anyway.
View attachment 131319View attachment 131320

Also figured out the shocks are sitting bottomed out when we lifted the sled up and I pushed it back down. The left side is comepletely stuck. Will look into those after the skis are together.
The fix for the ski mount was the person before the guy we got it from. Washers to get the hole back to the proper diameter welded over the orig. mounts.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Might need more cans.

Also. Did a lil research. It's a Ovation Deluxe, since it's a higher package it has the electric start, hand warmers, seat storage and a different cluster.

Last edited:

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
20220130_162938.jpg
Another Challeger Appears

Jake bought this one, a 78 Scorpian Sting with a 440. We got it back and got it running tonight. Currently the primary doesn't engage, the left ski is rotted almost in 2 and the bottom steering column mount broke.

This one still has a decent exhaust and new looking track. It only has 540 miles on it.

Owen says Hi.
Snapchat-1913991395.jpg

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Don't have a pic of the scorpion's dash but did get under the hood. The block that held the steering shaft was rusted to it and it broke off the aluminum crossmember. Chopped the block in half and cleaned up the column, put the block back with a plate that we bolted to the crossmember.(Aluminum crossmember)
Under the hood
20220205_225143.jpg
Started it again with the primary working properly and destroyed a drive sprocket.20220205_225135.jpg
Since the sled was made by arctic cat we should probably be able to find some, but not cheap.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
As for the Ovation, I made the other wear bar and bolted the skis back on with new bolts. Should hold up for a while yet. Will test tomorrow.
20220205_230830.jpg
Also fixed the exhaust (good enough) No pic right now but the new end is a scrap piece of stainless from work with a flared end, a 90° bent pipe from my friend's old exhaust on his dart, and an exhaust clamp because I'm too lazy to try to weld it. It works good enough. Now shows all the pinholes and other leaks.

Temporarily fixed the no light issue, ground wire was broken right before the connecter so I have a jumper wire running to one of the aux power ground pins. Will repin the connector when I can get more pins.
20220205_235038.jpg20220205_235028.jpg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Try Dennis Kirk for the drive sprocket. They used to carry them. Would be cheaper and easier than figuring out what Cat models will interchangeand their year. The track might be froze up. Check guide wheels and hifax while the suspension is out.

karl

Reaction score
Shouldn't have sold my ski-doo last year, barely had any decent riding weather.
Now I wish I kept that and the snowblower. Oh well looks like yall are having fun!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Try Dennis Kirk for the drive sprocket. They used to carry them. Would be cheaper and easier than figuring out what Cat models will interchangeand their year. The track might be froze up. Check guide wheels and hifax while the suspension is out.

DK usually has some odd stuff, but as far as vintage parts goes, slim pickings. I'm lucky to have found some of the parts for my Panther.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Turns out, it's a 1980, made in 79, the last year they were actually made by Scorpion. Jake talked to a guy on facebook that's making a mold to make new drives. Probably going to be a next year thing. Currently the sled is at Owen's and there is a half dead skidsteer in the garage. (Blows control unit fuses) we went through 7 or 8 fuses to move it up the driveway the 100 feet to get it inside.