Cheap sled stuff

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Moving into snowmobiles now that it's winter and found some for cheap.
20210706_201620.jpg
First is a 90's Yamaha ovation. Aircooled 340cc two stroke twin. Not sure on year or anything like that. Got it for free off marketplace from a guy that got it at a garage sale.

Next sled we got at the beginning of this week.
Snapchat-136918344.jpg

It's a 2000 Skidoo MXZx 440. 440cc liquid cooled twin with a studded track. Got it for 200 because it "needed a transmission". Figured out that the transmission (chaincase) is fine and both the primary and secondary were nuked. Shoulda said Hi to Karl while we were out that way.

That should be it for now. Going to go to an atv salvage yard tomorrow to see if we can find an exhaust for the Ovation and clutch parts for the Skidoo.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
I'll grab some pics later, but we romped on the ovation for a good 3 hours today. Used almost 5 gal of gas. I am premixing because in all the ride time the oil level has not dropped in the seperate tank.

My dad did slide into a tree before we got back from looking for parts. Rebroke the hood hinge and bent the mount for the belly pan.

I did notice that it was louder while we were on it and checked a few hours later, since there's a steel wire holding the exhuast instead of a spring for the hold down hitting the tree smashed the corner of the pipe and broke it even more up where it connects to the y pipe.

***Will get pics of this later.

Now I need to find a 30yo exhaust for an enticer or ovation 340. Going to figure out something in the meantime to lessen the leaks since it's a 2stroke.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
But, you could get a bit more performance out of the engine at either end of the engine power band. On top of that, it could make it easier than trying to track a used one down that may or may not be rotted out.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I mean if you want to take a performance hit for a bit, could just run a basic exhaust until you come up with a different expansion chamber.

Snaker

Reaction score
Nothing to weld to anymore😂 broke right at the joint so it's never sealing properly again. Might wrap it for now.
That's what they make tomato juice cans for.
Cut out a patch and goop it up with hi temp gasket sealer and let it cure fully
Can use clamps and even tack it with a low power wire feed.
But that gasket sealer with hold it fine by itself

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
As for some of the carnage.
20220124_192244.jpg20220124_192251.jpg20220124_192255.jpg

Didn't stop us though. Used the Craftsman with the plow to make a snow mound so of course we jumped it.

VideoCapture_20220124-225157.jpgVideoCapture_20220124-225236.jpg

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220124-225231.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220124-225231.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That’s not carnage that’s just a few minutes playing in the snow in the old days. Carnage is when you hit a concrete post at around 100 mph and fly off the sled and land on a chain link fence and escape with a few bruises and a broken leg. Me and another buddy had his sled home and rebuilt and running before he got out of the emergency room. We just so happened to have a spare parts sled along the garage.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Good thing it's not the old days then lmao. I do have a friend that did 60 headfirst into a tree. Broke both wrists and pretty major concussion.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I kind of want to know what happened with that...60mph into a tree and walked away relatively scave free, broken wrists and concussion it could have been way worse!

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
I kind of want to know what happened with that...60mph into a tree and walked away relatively scave free, broken wrists and concussion it could have been way worse
Probably less than 60 after flying through the air like 20 feet, there was a turn/ditch he didn't see and he hit it head on. Flew over the bars and into a tree

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Ovation really needs skis but since we're so cheap, going to weld 1/8" plate over the nonexistant bottom and make some carbides.

Also figured out the reason for the dim tail light was because it was full of seat foam and was melting it and the housing.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Broke the bolt on the left ski so going to finish the right before we tackle that.

Snapchat-185523469.jpg
Got a piece of 1/8" plate cut and tacked on and Jake (my friend) wanted to weld so I coached as he welded it. He went from booger welds to some decent flux core welds in an hour. I'll get a pic of how thin the skis are when we get the other one off.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Put a good set of Woodys carbide wear bars on it now. It will steer like a slotcar on a track. That exhaust could be welded and repaired with some patience.