Chain rusted now what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmon IV

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Putting a new engine on my 2 seat go kart. The chain rusted and now I need a new chain. I'm using a GS 160 honda motor and not sure what I need to do to measure and get the correct chain. Any help?
 

Bbqjoe

Banned
Messages
3,455
Reaction score
67
Location
Location, Location
Wrong forum noob!
This belongs in the chains, torque converters and kill switch forum!!!

Just kidding.
Start by measuring the old one for length.

There's really only 2 sizes, #35 and #40.
I'm sure we can figger which one with a few pics, and some questions.
 

Harmon IV

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I did the measurement found on the net and I show to have 3/8 between link to link. I believe that means a number 35 chain. Now can you buy 35 chain in different links?
 

Bbqjoe

Banned
Messages
3,455
Reaction score
67
Location
Location, Location
I did the measurement found on the net and I show to have 3/8 between link to link. I believe that means a number 35 chain. Now can you buy 35 chain in different links?

Links, or lengths?

It's easy to buy chain from your hardware or places like Tractor supply.
I just bought 10 feet for $20. It'll make two chains for me.
You can have someone do it for you, or you can make it to length yourself with an $8 dollar chain tool.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,199
Reaction score
4,174
...The chain rusted and now I need a new chain...

Why did it rust? If you didn't oil it regularly, you're wrong.


All is not lost; you can soak it in PB Blaster, WD-40 and the like to get any kinks out. You can treat it with phosphoric or muriatic acid to remove the rust (Naval Jelly works good too).

Rinse, clean, re-oil it and use or keep as a spare.
 

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
63
Location
California
I want navel jelly it sounds tasty... I only get little fuzz balls in mine , and they don't taste to good.:feedtroll:

Thanks I just ate too.

I go for the wd40 pb blaster oil the chain route. But I'm cheap. But yah chains are cheap and easy to buy long and adjust. I think hf chan tool is $6? Maybe.
 

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
63
Location
California
I like pictures. Sometimes I'm not sure if people are joking or not. But pictures could be fake too. But yah naval jelly!
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0

Harmon IV

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Chain was 35 years old....finally rusted to the point that isn't usable.
I meant length and not links- ill try tractor supply this week! Thanks
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,199
Reaction score
4,174
Aha. Thanks for the follow-up. I agree with BBQ Joe--it's past its expiration date.

I'm afraid I am going to have to demand photographic proof of said chain though, and the kart as well. Seeing is believing but as of right now I don't think they exist. Sorry. :eek: :p :D

You'll be doing yourself a favor.
 

Bbqjoe

Banned
Messages
3,455
Reaction score
67
Location
Location, Location
Aha. Thanks for the follow-up. I agree with BBQ Joe--it's past its expiration date.

I'm afraid I am going to have to demand photographic proof of said chain though, and the kart as well. Seeing is believing but as of right now I don't think they exist. Sorry. :eek: :p :D

You'll be doing yourself a favor.

Look man, if Dr Hellion prescribes pics, it's best to follow his advice.
Now get with it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top