anickode
Active member
Any progress on this? I'm curious to see how the v belt works out.
Any progress on this? I'm curious to see how the v belt works out.
V-belts work!! I used one on my kart for a clutch system and they work, so you know they will definitely work for a fixed tension on them. Probably even betterI'm curious to see how the v belt works out.
V-belts work!! I used one on my kart for a clutch system and they work, so you know they will definitely work for a fixed tension on them. Probably even better
Thanks We know V-belts work
What I'm doing is putting a V-belt on a torque converters final drive... I haven't seen any one on this forum do it yet so well see what happens...
Here's a picture. You see the chain.. well that's getting replaced with a belt
What I think anickode is curious to see is how much performance I lose to belt slippage. Torque converters produce lots of torque when starting off...
What happened? Why didn't it work? I see no reason why it couldn't work.
What happened? Why didn't it work? I see no reason why it couldn't work.
If I lived in the USA maybe I'd put a cogged belt on.. here in Canada it hard to find stuff like that...
We'll sneak you one across the border or send it across the river by inflatable raft..........TRY EBAY.........
...Would this be a retarded idea, if I some how fabricated a chain case for the chain so the chain is sealed from the dust and the chain take's a bath in oil all day IDK...
Not sure an oil bath is going to work...but the chain case sounds like a good idea actually.
As far as I can visualize it, the case is going to have openings for the engine PTO side and on the bottom end for the axle.
Even if it's just partially shielded, it'll do wonders for cleanliness.
The other possible causes for your catastrophic chain issues, that were never addressed, might be...YOU.
I mean you could have misalignment between your sprockets or craptacular sprocket quality, bent sprockets, mangled teeth (burrs) and what-not causing your chain to "chew" itself to death or fall off over and over.
![]()
Yeah oil bath not so good with a TAV plate setup. You'd likely wind up with oil on your belt.
Some good O ring chain and an improved chain guard would go a long way.
Also as Hellion mentioned, make sure your sprocket alignment is just right and your sprockets aren't worn down.