Chain lube...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
After riding my kart all night :yawn: chains wore right out "garbage"... About 30 miles

I lubed it about every 3-5 miles with motor oil but it seems to fly off really quick.

I ride on gravel so there's lots of dust, any ideas to get more life out of my chain...

Thanks ;)

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Try oiling the next one before it needs it? :D :roflol:
If you're wearing out a chain in 30 miles or so, something ain't right.
I get mine from TSC. Never had a problem.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Since they're exposed chains (unlike the closed-off, enclosed, constantly-lubed timing chain on my car for instance), they tend to wear out relatively quickly being exposed to dirt and grit.

Maintenance-minded people know this and in the past, when constantly replacing parts was cost prohibitive, they maintained the chain (motorcyclists, mainly). They took it off, cleaned it, re-lubed it and replaced it back on the bike and they did that at routine intervals.

Heck, the go kart racers do this as well. Probably after every race.

A soak in heavy weight gear oil is probably the best way to lube, lazy arse. :rolleyes:

anickode

Reaction score
a lubricant that doesn't just sling off would be better too. There are aerosol chain lubricants that tack a little bit and stay put.

I use Tri-Flow. I know that's my answer for everything, but it is really good stuff, especially if you lube the chain and give it time to soak in before you take off.

It does sound however, like you might have some tension and/or alignment issues. Or is your sprocket so big it contacts the ground on rough terrain?

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
It does sound however, like you might have some tension and/or alignment issues. Or is your sprocket so big it contacts the ground on rough terrain?
Maybe the problem is that it says China on every link IDK :D... It has the correct tension and alignment I think... And it also has a skid plate..

I has thinking of making an oil dripper like the ones they have on motorcycles..... I ride sleds so I'm use to just Putting gas in and go!!

Hellion

Reaction score
Is Tri-Flow an aerosol lubricant?

In my experience, you don't want that for chains...but most of the time, that's what is sold.

I guess the manufacturers know their product is going to go everywhere, and sometimes on the intended surface, but that's a good way to keep their stuff flying off the shelf--> WASTE. :cool:

Soaking is the only way to get lube properly into all the nooks, crannies and crevices of the chain.

anickode

Reaction score
Is Tri-Flow an aerosol lubricant?

In my experience, you don't want that for chains...but most of the time, that's what is sold.

I guess the manufacturers know their product is going to go everywhere, and sometimes on the intended surface, but that's a good way to keep their stuff flying off the shelf--> WASTE. :cool:

Soaking is the only way to get lube properly into all the nooks, crannies and crevices of the chain.

It's available in aerosol or a bottle. It penetrates really well - Some pretty impressive capillary action. And it clings quite well. There is a foaming version as well.

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
:oops::roflol: just fell off...

Attachments

• 3913246C-2069-4F1F-9FFF-F54578DF8083.jpg
    3913246C-2069-4F1F-9FFF-F54578DF8083.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 18

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
Lube it with WD-40 and then bury the chain in sand before using. Should work a treat. :thumbsup:

Don't forget your Adderall®.

Tried it already :D

Would this be a retarded idea, if I some how fabricated a chain case for the chain so the chain is sealed from the dust and the chain take's a bath in oil all day IDK...

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

:idea2: I have another idea... What if a replaced the chain with a belt? Which one sounds more possible...

IDK maby I should just snort some more Adderall :D

Hellion

Reaction score
They have cogged Kevlar drive belts for motorcycles... Needs no maintenance.
Concession karts use a belt final drive, also cogged or toothed....

Even have those for bicycles, albeit not widespread.

anickode

Reaction score
They have cogged Kevlar drive belts for motorcycles... Needs no maintenance.
Concession karts use a belt final drive, also cogged or toothed....

Even have those for bicycles, albeit not widespread.

Get a stone kick up and run between the belt and the belt cog, and you'd be in no better shape than with a chain.

Gotta be a reason those belts are used on road bikes, concession karts, and cruisers, and not on mountain bikes, dirt bikes, and buggies.

Since you already have a chain guard, why not get some sheet metal and rivet on there to make the guard wider?

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
Get a stone kick up and run between the belt and the belt cog, and you'd be in no better shape than with a chain.

Gotta be a reason those belts are used on road bikes, concession karts, and cruisers, and not on mountain bikes, dirt bikes, and buggies.

Since you already have a chain guard, why not get some sheet metal and rivet on there to make the guard wider?

Ya maybe I'll seal it up real good and add a motorcycle oil dripper... Or I could add a belt and seal it up real well..

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Ya maybe I'll seal it up real good and add a motorcycle oil dripper... Or I could add a belt and seal it up real well..
How about just getting better chain?
I have every bit as much dust and sand as you do.
Maybe you're keeping your chain too tight. There's supposed to be a little slop in it. Like a half inch or so.
Constantly trying to keep it tight will wear it out real quick.

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
Lookie what I found a cute little belt pulley! Well now you know which option I'm going to do...

Attachments

• 89BAF455-A386-4E9D-9B3B-7481BA3F6BA9.jpg
    89BAF455-A386-4E9D-9B3B-7481BA3F6BA9.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 6
  • FE68FA14-71FE-4114-B442-A43791E27C0E.jpg
    FE68FA14-71FE-4114-B442-A43791E27C0E.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 5

Hellion

Reaction score
I have no idea where you're going with that, and I don't care.

Thanks for the unneeded thread on "Chain Lube" though. Not like the forum hasn't covered that before ad infinitum. :rolleyes:

All in a day's work though, huh? :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.