centrifugal clutch that can launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

02mx-5

Reaction score
Im working on a doodlebug project as a few of you may know from reading my threads. What is a nice clutch that is capable of "launching"? I know that there are racing brands that run about 200-$300 but aside from those, what is the next best brand? even if it doesnt launch like a traditional clutch i would like to feel the power right away. wheelies?

anderkart

Reaction score
You'll never duplicate a torque converters launch but some clutchs brands sell replacement springs to raise the RPM point their clutchs lock in. This lets your engine rev up higher as your taking off and can end up giving you a better launch. I instaled 3700rpm springs in my Noram Star clutch and got a better launch. (clutch spring info:http://host179.ebm.bestsoftwarehost.com/images/2007 NORAM SPRING ENGAGEMENT CHART.pdf

If you want a better than average clutch and want to stay under $200, Noram has serveral models you might check out: http://www.out2win.com/catalog/noram.html

jr dragster T

Reaction score

02mx-5

Reaction score
tyler, that is exactly the type ive seen. If youve ever seen the guys on youtube with blockzillas in minibikes, they LAUNCH. I want to have a powerful launch but obviously not that powerful because i cant afford it. So whats the next best?

eidderf

Freddie
Reaction score
have you tried using a clutch with just 2 pads, they're more responsive than the 3 pad designs. also, weaker springs will reduce the rpm needed to grip the clutch bell.

Sam W

Reaction score
id invest in a torque converter. ive tried what you are looking for but i didnt go for it. i made a custom clutch which two of the pads engage at 2700 rpm and then the third one engages at 3200 rpm but that one locks in place to the bell. it actually worked out quite nicely but i switched to a tav.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
most can launch, if thrown pretty hard, or fired from a rocket launcher lol!
sorry, that was lame! i think a torque converter is the best bet, and the new makes may be just over $100

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Or a slip belt style with a foot clutch or something were you can have the clutch down rev it up and dump the clutch. just have a heavy *** spring so it dont slip much.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
dont some jr dragster use slip belt clutches?

Not even lmao. We use Billet CVT style belt clutch's like a snowmobile clutch. Most common clutch is a Polar clutch. JrdragsterKennys from this forum, His dad is the designer and manufacturer of the Polar clutch. nice smooth working/consistant clutch! Where putting a Polar on the go kart now:)

Rotore

Teh SPIK
Reaction score
Not even lmao. We use Billet CVT style belt clutch's like a snowmobile clutch. Most common clutch is a Polar clutch. JrdragsterKennys from this forum, His dad is the designer and manufacturer of the Polar clutch. nice smooth working/consistant clutch! Where putting a Polar on the go kart now:)

there we go i thought it was a belt slip since the pick was kinda far

Status
Not open for further replies.