Caster wheel FWD kart(crazy kart)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Has anyone here built a crazy kart like "drifting" kart where the rear wheels are tiltable casters and its driven by a front wheel that can 360? If so, how much fun was it, what did it take and is it worth doing?

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Lemme guess, you got the idea from trialsmaniac. And 'sid.

Infact...no, but thanks for shouting out the name I totally missed that thread and I gave it a read over. But I've been debating what to do with this small chinese go kart frame I have. It is quite strong, but it was 1 wheel drive, had stupid 5/8" axles hung from U-bolts, and a terrible 0-kingpin angle steering system. I had that stupid thing track a pothole and steer me into a parked car. The frame would make the most sense being repurposed for this because I don't need to reuse the old drivetrain components and it allows me to extend my legs by shifting the seat back. Also the frame would be perfect for an electric kart because the two center rails could hang a bunch of 12V 9ah SLA batteries all in a line. I was thinking maybe a 800-1000W motor, a 10" drive tire and of course adding disc brakes. Why razor didn't include brakes on the crazy kart is beyond me and IMO a stupid and harmful omission.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
(*giggle)
That's why it's a crazy kart!
That doesn't sound fun, whamming into a parked car.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Tpdingo

Reaction score
(*giggle)
That's why it's a crazy kart!
That doesn't sound fun, whamming into a parked car.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

If you ever wanted to turn your thighs black and blue for a solid 2 months, that's how you do it. Because the of awful placement of the steering wheel, I bent a 1/4 piece of SOLID STEEL about 15 degrees---with my legs. It took my neighbors oxy-acetylene torch to bend it back. Fun times!

Btw, outside of the nasty black and blue, I wasn't injured much. I was able to get up and walk away from the crash if that says anything....but I'm definitely happier with my Dingo's insane kinpin angle which means really heavy steering...but safe steering.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Ouch.
Glad I'm not you. ;)
I'm not sure how much kingpin angle mine has(FYI it's called caster).
Glad you weren't hurt too bad. :thumbsup:

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Ouch.
Glad I'm not you. ;)
I'm not sure how much kingpin angle mine has(FYI it's called caster).
Glad you weren't hurt too bad. :thumbsup:

I'm not totally sure which it is. Kingpin is how far the knuckles are rotated in reference to the front of the kart and caster is the same thing but in reference to the side of the wheel. Not sure which it is, I'm not at home with my kart to check.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I used a couple of HF castors on this Zero Turn kart :thumbsup:

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36632

The main problem I encountered was that one castor kept "cavitating" (I guess you would call it?)
...shaking constantly instead of rolling nice & smooth (& straight) :ack2:
...kinda like a "wacked" shopping cart :mad:

* I even got pulled over by the cops once
...& they were more interested in the kart than the fact that I was riding it down the street. :cheers2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rss3YOJPBFY&list=PLoL6eIYWPO_mF4_TVmEYNOMPR68L75lBi&index=18

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
The main problem I encountered was that one castor kept "cavitating" (I guess you would call it?)
...shaking constantly instead of rolling nice & smooth (& straight) :ack2:
...kinda like a "wacked" shopping cart :mad:

That means just buy 3 times as many just to make sure you have 4 good ones. :lolgoku:

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Then please don't call it a FWD kart or Crazy Kart! It's a crazy drift trike...

Well its not a trike. I mean there is a stark difference between a Harley Trike and a Reliant Robin. You call the Harley a trike and the Robin a car(or a pile of garbage depending on your mood:roflol:)

First I'll need to create it, then I can name it...and I can tell you that isn't happening right now.

And its not a FWD kart, because depending on how I ride it, it is FWD, RWD, and everything in between!

Also, if I can't come up with a cool name, I can just ask the Functional Artist!

Shep1970

Reaction score
Cool build, I hope u succeed in building it. My son had the razor 360 and rode the wheels off that thing..... big smile ear to ear- I always wished they made a full size version of it, it looked like a blast to ride. Had brakes and was more controllable than one may think with the castors in the rear. So I wish u luck.

Attachments

• CBFA4DEE-71D2-4F8E-BA7D-B4A04A657697.jpg
    CBFA4DEE-71D2-4F8E-BA7D-B4A04A657697.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Cool build, I hope u succeed in building it. My son had the razor 360 and rode the wheels off that thing..... big smile ear to ear- I always wished they made a full size version of it, it looked like a blast to ride. Had brakes and was more controllable than one may think with the castors in the rear. So I wish u luck.

Yeah I basically want to build one of those, but with the crazy karts "kart" design instead of the trike and a bigger motor. I can't see the point in a crazy kart without brakes. I could imagine how much fun that 360 thing could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.