Reaction score
I'm not real up on this but don't our carbs on the 5 and 6 hp
motors simply accelerate by opeing the air to them causing the
vacuum to suck more fuel in? I could be wrong on this but
would it make sense to put an accelerator pump in there like
cars have (oops - used to have)? This would give it extra fuel
when you step on it although it wouldn't increase top speed, it
would get there faster. Anybody else think about stuff like this
before falling asleep at nite? Tell me I'm nuts, it's ok (I'm married-used to that)

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
before falling asleep at nite? Tell me I'm nuts, it's ok (I'm married-used to that)

it wont work because you'll need more air coming in , like a turbocharger...:sifone:

and yes i think of ALOT of stuff before going to bed... lol

TOO FAST

Reaction score
You're probably right, but I'm thinking when you open the throttle
there must be a second where a real lean fuel condition exists until the fuel catches up. A pump would give it a small squirt
just during this time.

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
some of the 4 wheeler and moto carbs have the accelerator pumps. if at normal topend you could dump throttle and punch it to get a slight boost

ddlyspdr

Reaction score
the accelerator pump on a car/truck carb is used to reduce the huge flatspot at wot from a dead stop/ slightly dead stop. those are of course 350-1000 cfm carbs too. the carb from a 6hp motor i would assume around 100. also the carb on a small engine is nothing more than a constant toilet bowl, the more throttle u give the more fuel you get. also forgot to mention, on my 6.5 clone motor there is a very little flat spot, if im at a dead stop and stomp it, i can hear it but i dont notice a feel in the cart, because of the clutch. now if it was a direct connection between the engine and cart, (no clutch). you would definately notice it.

Last edited:

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
the extra shot of fuel is sometimes to aid a lack of torque or aiding in revability

lemegacool

Reaction score
You're probably right, but I'm thinking when you open the throttle
there must be a second where a real lean fuel condition exists until the fuel catches up. A pump would give it a small squirt
just during this time.

ebay 49cc nitrous kit? lol:cheers2:

brendonv

Reaction score
it wont work because you'll need more air coming in , like a turbocharger...:sifone:

and yes i think of ALOT of stuff before going to bed... lol

ALOT isnt a word, its two separate words, a lot. I use to do it for ages and well everyone does but my english teacher went crazy at us after reading our year 11 exams and gave us a 20min lecture on it. She said "First person to find alot (pronounced alet)in the dictionary i will give them 50 bucks" so we all raced and tried to find it but obviously didnt haha.

87srvsnow

Reaction score

i always think about a bunch of stupid stuff before bed. awhile back i was thinking about somehow trying to put gears on a snowmobile engine, but still with the clutches. like use a dirt bike 3 speed and run the 3 speed to the clutches. it would fly!:sifone:

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
i was thinking about how to make a 3 speed transmission right before i got up to write it down zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz now i cant remember.:censored: :mad2:

anderkart

Reaction score
They don't.

So with the engine running and when you suddenly open the throttle, are all those pumper diaphragms inside plus serveral lbs. of fuel pressure simply an elaborate method to then allow the fuel to only be drawn through by the engines pulse signal just like a regular bowl type carb does?

I always thought they produced an instant squirt simalar to an accelerator pump equiped carb. I'm no expert on Tollitsons and could be wrong here, but they call these things pumper carbs.

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
Called pumper carbs because they pump gas from tank. That is why tank can be mounted below center line of carb.
Other than that, fuel/air mix enters engine no differently than a bowl carb.
Obviously, a diaphragm carb can be mounted in any position, whereas a bowl carb cannot.
Not all diaphragm carbs are pumpers.

Last edited:

jr dragster T

Reaction score
My TM 33 carb and my HSR 42 on both dragsters have accelerater pumps. If you foot brake drag race (No trans brake) you have a accelerater pump. We pull off the air cleaner every so often just to be sure its working. It jets the fuel straight threw the intake hitting the intake valve stem. I'd say it injets about a teaspoon.

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
tyler have you ever had it on the dyno and blipped the throttle to see how much gain from blipping?

lemegacool

Reaction score
ALOT isnt a word, its two separate words, a lot. I use to do it for ages and well everyone does but my english teacher went crazy at us after reading our year 11 exams and gave us a 20min lecture on it. She said "First person to find alot (pronounced alet)in the dictionary i will give them 50 bucks" so we all raced and tried to find it but obviously didnt haha.

easy dude i'm french doing my best to write in english!

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score

English is my first language and I mess that one up a lot. Chill out man its not a big deal.

TOO FAST

Reaction score
If alot aint a word, me speling werent teached good in scool
I guess I bean hanging around dem sheeps to many

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
As one who majored in English in high school, I could probably correct the LOT of you on various things. But- this forum, and indeed this thread- are about the various aspects of our related motorsports. None of these aspects include English spelling or grammar proficiency, or debate thereof.

I'm also fairly certain we all managed to get through Lemegacool's posting without thinking, "I don't get it! What does he mean by ALOT?". Am I right? That said, let us not waste anymore time riffing a French guy about his command of a second language, but instead devote our time here to deliberating on the carb question...

I think you'd spend a helluva lot of time fine-tuning that very minute pulse of fuel in order to see any benefit.

Cheers- Chris

BTW- I'm sorry if I seem a bit heavy-handed here, but I belong to another unrelated forum in which the spelling and grammer can be so bloody atrocious you really DO wonder what the poster is trying to say- So you'll forgive me for thinking this is
A LOT more trouble than it's worth!

Status
Not open for further replies.