Car Starter Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mechtician

Gargamel Jr.
Reaction score
I read this thread with great interest, just thought I'd add my 2 cents...

As has already been mentioned, starter motors get smoking hot in a very short amount of time. However, I would argue that this is because they're (almost) always operated at very high loads. Turning an engine over is a big job, if you've ever barred an engine over with a ratchet or breaker bar (even with the plugs out!) you know what I mean.

Anyways, there's 2 ways I can think of to make a starter motor useful as a prime mover:

1) Use a MOSFET motor controller, which you can buy turn-key and ready to go, build your own or scavenge from a golf cart or electric forkilift or something
2) Use a CVT, like those little Torq-A-Verter things for go-karts, or scavenge one from a snowmobile.

The main advantage of a CVT is that it allows you to use the OEM solenoid to activate the motor, no throttling necessary. It'll also accelerate smoother than a direct-drive setup. One of the engineering co-op students I worked with a couple years ago built a little kart powered by a Toyota Corolla starter, and man was it a neck snapper! He said he ran it at 24V just to try it and it was so violent & uncomfortable to drive he almost vomited, so he wired it back to 12V :p

My 2 cents. Your mileage may vary :)

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
I read this thread with great interest, just thought I'd add my 2 cents...

As has already been mentioned, starter motors get smoking hot in a very short amount of time. However, I would argue that this is because they're (almost) always operated at very high loads. Turning an engine over is a big job, if you've ever barred an engine over with a ratchet or breaker bar (even with the plugs out!) you know what I mean.

Anyways, there's 2 ways I can think of to make a starter motor useful as a prime mover:

1) Use a MOSFET motor controller, which you can buy turn-key and ready to go, build your own or scavenge from a golf cart or electric forkilift or something
2) Use a CVT, like those little Torq-A-Verter things for go-karts, or scavenge one from a snowmobile.

The main advantage of a CVT is that it allows you to use the OEM solenoid to activate the motor, no throttling necessary. It'll also accelerate smoother than a direct-drive setup. One of the engineering co-op students I worked with a couple years ago built a little kart powered by a Toyota Corolla starter, and man was it a neck snapper! He said he ran it at 24V just to try it and it was so violent & uncomfortable to drive he almost vomited, so he wired it back to 12V :p

My 2 cents. Your mileage may vary :)

Good input, but I think starters still over heat even when not under load from turning over an engine, if its prolonged use (over 30sec-minute)

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the less sure I am that a kart-style CVT is going to tolerate instantaneous zero-to-full-torque acceleration. I think I see smoking belts in the future. It's all academic until somebody tries it, though.

gokartmozart

Reaction score
I will definitely give this a shot, got everything I need, just need some time. Of course this will put off using the starter for my mini gun build. God, what will I use to fend off the zombies.

SCARECROW

Reaction score
Hi guys!! I'm brand new here but I found this thread while searching stuff and just HAD to chime in. The following story is a TRUE testimony to the torque generated by a starter. Trust me, I wouldn't have registered an acct just to lie to you all! Lol

By profession I'm a truck driver (owner operator) and I had a 2002 freightliner xl classic a couple years back. Anyway, I was in Virginia trying my best to make it to the truck stop before I can out of fuel. Well, I made it to the stop sign (on an INCLINE) at the end of an exit ramp and ran out of fuel! The truck stop was about 100 yards to my right... My STARTER pulled me into the truck stop while I grossed out at....wait for it........79,000lbs!!! And it pulled me UPHILL!!! I never would have believed it if anyone would have told me this story, but I DID IT!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE TORQUE!!!

So, for Anyone who didn't believe the guy who said his starter pulled his car in 3rd gear, BELIEVE IT!!!

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Trust me, I wouldn't have registered an acct just to lie to you all! Lol

. My STARTER pulled me into the truck stop while I grossed out at....wait for it........79,000lbs!!! And it pulled me UPHILL!!!

So, for Anyone who didn't believe the guy who said his starter pulled his car in 3rd gear, BELIEVE IT!!!

Wouldnt be the first time.

Holy crap, but does a 2002 Freightliner not have a neutral safety switch?? Virginia sure does have some hills dont it?

I dont think anyone was questioning the torque of starters, especially because Mopars of that era used gear reduction starters.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.