Car audio Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Hey guys...
Now Im wanting to get the radio working in my "new to me truck"... The PO had installed a deck and it by all means seems to be correct, powers up and functions work... Just no sound...He said it was new( I know the guy and believe him)
'92 nissan pickup D21 hardbody single cab..

Now I removed the dash panel and looked at the connections.. all seems correct.. so Im guessing the speakers are shot..... fare enough...

Upon looking at the deck it has a number of RCA type connectors labeling to speakers L-R and to amp ect... Its a clarion cz302.
Now I have an amp/sub( just not installed) A Rockford Fosgate prime r600-4d amp and a Kicker 12" with box, but there isnt really any space behind/under the seats for those, so Im not caring about that... But I do want some kind of sound...
I want the new speakers in the lower foot well side panel area( for lack of a term), not in the door(so i'll just leave the OEM ones alone)..

Am I able to just connect with RCA plugged wires to the new set of speakers Im looking to get? Or do I have to wire power/ ground to these aswell???
Looked to see what connectors are out there.. confused:eek::eek::eek:...

This is really a new thing for me and I haven't been able to get any info on this for DIY or new automotive audiophiles...

Randy H

Reaction score
The RCA plugs are intended to be plugged into an Amp.

Attachments

• PSX_20180826_153209.jpg
    PSX_20180826_153209.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 8

mckutzy

Reaction score
I saw that... There is 2 for front channel L and R...

Am I able to use those and plug/play for 2 speakers?

anickode

Reaction score
No, those will be line level outputs. You would be lucky to power a set of earbuds off those, unfortunately.

mckutzy

Reaction score
anickode- Ok... what does that mean exactly?

So the best way is to just disconnect what is there and check with a known working speaker, and re wire with soldered connections to the harness that is supplied on the back of the deck???

Im sorry this is just a new thing and I barely understand it...

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Should have a built in amp. 45watt max (19watt RMS) x 4 channel.
The wiring diagram above shows how to wire the speakers directly from the head unit.

Attachments

• harness.jpg
    harness.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Those wires the speaker attaches to............ just pull the head unit out and wire them direct to a speaker while it’s sitting in your lap. That’s what I used to do at the car audio store when I was installing.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

If it don’t work then the internal amp is bad in the head unit.

anickode

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a car speaker either. A small bookshelf speaker, or even a big stereo speaker will work as long as the impedance is greater than 4 ohms.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Ahhh...I'll try that...

Any ideas on a set of speakers... About 4.5-5"... I could see about $100 all together.. Wires and such...

mckutzy

Reaction score
No other amp used.. The deck has an internal amp as far as I can tell..

Bob- these three way speakers you speak of... Are they wired separate or all in one set of wire???

Edit: WoW... NOOBish.... ill say.... So I took a look and yes... they are all in one speaker, with one in/out terminals for the wires....
Sorry guys... I guess it is easier than it looks.....

Ill look over some speakers and see what I can come up with....

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
How / Where are these going to be installed? I know you said you plan to put them (somewhere) and leave the factory speakers in place. I just can't picture where they will go.

I want the new speakers in the lower foot well side panel area( for lack of a term), not in the door(so i'll just leave the OEM ones alone)..

Are you going to cut a hole for them in the kick panel? Or build an enclosure?
If it were me, I'd probably replace the factory speakers with ones of the same size.

Here is a picture of a "kick panel" speaker enclosure.

Attachments

• kickpanel.jpeg
    kickpanel.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Search Nissan Truck kick panel speaker enclosure.
https://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/fp/tcat/111541/SFV/30046

It's been two decades since my hobby was car audio. I used to go to the flea market every week to see what was recently stolen and being sold at a discount. LOL

Used to have one 4 channel amp to power two 6x9's and two 6-1/2". And another 1000 (or 1500?) watt amp dedicated for my two 15" subs. I think I only used the head unit to power the 4 tweeters I had (bass clips to prevent the low tones from playing through the tweeters). Crossover, 1 Farad Capacitor, ..... My stereo was worth more than my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.