Butt Welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipehack

Reaction score
I hope this isn't gonna turn into a little girlie keyboard commando thread. I WOULD NOT DO IT. It's my safety and I'm the one who pays the med bills. Therefore I would do it like It's done in a chassis shop or a motorcycle frame shop. I also wouldn't do business with a place that would do that kind of work. This is me not you and that's o.k. All cool?

sexyvicta

Reaction score
The problem is not the amount of pressure exerted on a weld, it's the number of times that pressure is exerted. A stress crack won't appear after one test, they appear over time. Also, 9 times out of 10 it's not the weld that cracks but the area around the weld due to the molecular change that takes place as a result of the welding process.

In short, a sleeve or slug is a reeeally good idea as it transfers the stress away from the butt weld

i agree with this. When you weld up a broken lawnmower handle. it usualy breaks again but slightly below/above the weld

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
I wouldn't butt weld any hollow section steel, I would do it sleeve it and rose weld it. Devino idea is okay, if your welding inch plate any thing smaller it really seems impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.