Building gokart using wooden PALETTE

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
My thoughts.
I would put the structural integrity of a good solid wood pallet up against some of the metal cobbled concoctions that appear in some of the You Tube walls any day. It's obvious that a lot of the followers of some of these guys aren't MIT grads, by the way they drool over some of the hacked up sketchy stuff posted. I worked a summer as a teen for an uncle rebuilding pallets and it was a lot harder work than you would think - simply because a decent pallet is about bulletproof. Whether they were stapled or nailed, it took a lot of grunt on a crowbar to pry them apart to harvest the slats to repair others. If I was going to do one, I would take a new one apart and glue and screw all the joints, and possibly add another pair of side rails. I'm not saying I'd toss a 670 twin on one, put my 354lb carcass in and go out Baja-ing, but for a 212 powered yard cart for the kids to put around the yard in, IMO I could put one together that would be fine.
You make a good point. Still, knowing kids, I wouldn’t put one on it. They’re just too erratic. Also, in most areas, it’s pretty easy to find a decent frame from a good manufacturer. And trust me, I know the strength of pallets, but the possibility of big splinters in a crash (or just over big bumps) is to high for me or any kids that it might be driven by. To each their own.

ZZ

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Thats great material, but are there different grades? Course made with chainsaw chips/dust and fine made with dust from circular saws? That probably is proprietary info, but maybe you could expand on that without divulging trade secrets? Construction grade? finish grade? The wife wants to replace our welded scrap metal kitchen cabinets! That could be the perfect upgrade.
We have three grades available. 1. Smooth; sanding dust only. Rough; chainsaw dust. And variety; all types of sawdust. Then we go to Generic Glue Stick Company’s warehouse and grab some glue, then we mix and package it up in different sizes. PM if interested.

pearl111

Reaction score
I think they should just build palettes with engines already mounted on them,
with ....lights, horns, turn singles. radios, mirrors, cigarette lighters, ect....ect.... That way you can just do away with
forklifts. No more waiting for that busy forklift driver, moving around all those palettes, and taking coffee brakes.
........WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING FORKLIFTS......

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Very entertaining to read this whole thread, many cute opinions and comments. Outside of the reiterated "Don't do it, your grandkids would blow their inheritance" thoughts, I only found a couple of pointed facts.................. Especially the part about..................
Whether they were stapled or nailed,
In my experience around hundreds of pallets with 800# of compressors bolted down to them, the 2" long staples shot pneumatically into them during construction took only a single good impact (wheels into a curb for example, if it's a gokart) to pull a little loose, making the whole thing twistably slipshod and liable to splinter up. If you must make a gokart out of a pallet, drill many, many holes in it, reinforcing every flat slat with long lag bolts thru big washers at each end and across the middle, minimum, and thru-bolt with machine-thread bolts and nuts on all of the frame structure.
Then you can figure out how to make a couple of inches of ground clearance work for you anywhere besides your asphalt street, if you can even make it across the gutter at the end of your driveway to reach the street in the first place. Wrap the grandkids in bubble-wrap for the inevitable bounce off of parked or moving car, truck, or school bus bumpers.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
if We’re throwing around new frame ideas I’m totally going with ramen mixed with glue and barn dust.

Master Hack

Reaction score
In my experience around hundreds of pallets with 800# of compressors bolted down to them, the 2" long staples shot pneumatically into them during construction took only a single good impact (wheels into a curb for example, if it's a gokart) to pull a little loose, making the whole thing twistably slipshod and liable to splinter up. If you must make a gokart out of a pallet, drill many, many holes in it, reinforcing every flat slat with long lag bolts thru big washers at each end and across the middle, minimum, and thru-bolt with machine-thread bolts and nuts on all of the frame structure.
Then you can figure out how to make a couple of inches of ground clearance work for you anywhere besides your asphalt street, if you can even make it across the gutter at the end of your driveway to reach the street in the first place. Wrap the grandkids in bubble-wrap for the inevitable bounce off of parked or moving car, truck, or school bus bumpers.
Ya forgot hot sauce,AKA locktite