Building gokart using wooden PALETTE

panchothedog

Reaction score
Looks like you are moving in the wrong direction. You don't seem to understand the need for both strength and RIGIDITY for a kart to hold together for any length of time when being powered by a single cylinder engine. They are not necessarily smooth. They viberate like crazy.

Cartinfun

Reaction score
If someone has the ability to weld, why the heck would they use wood to build a go kart?

For views, that's why. It is in NO WAY meant to be a long term use project. It's done to challenge the builder, but mainly to get views. I can guarantee that he does not ride it around on a regular basis. It's all for views/to make money.

Master Hack

Reaction score
another option to consider is building your own custom pallet/chassis with balsa wood. It is very light, increasing you horsepower to weight ratio.
It has superior flexibility compared to oak or pine. That would result in improved chassis dynamics and superior handling. Also it can be assembled using common model glue, further reducing weight by eliminating nails, screws, bolts and other pesky fasteners. But this should considered only as a(very) high performance option.

Cartinfun

Reaction score
another option to consider is building your own custom pallet/chassis with balsa wood. It is very light, increasing you horsepower to weight ratio.
It has superior flexibility compared to oak or pine. That would result in improved chassis dynamics and superior handling. Also it can be assembled using common model glue, further reducing weight by eliminating nails, screws, bolts and other pesky fasteners. But this should considered only as a(very) high performance option.
You know that might actually work well. Especially if you cover it in canvas painted with wood glue. They used to build airplanes in a similar fashion. I myself used canvas and wood glue for the exterior of our camper. The teardrop camper community calls it "poor man's firberglass". A chasis built of that would likely be really strong and rigid. It would likely require some substantial engineering and testing. That would be a fun project if you had the time for it.

karte_m0lim

Birds Aren't Real
Reaction score
do not trust this guy..
If someone has the ability to weld, why the heck would they use wood to build a go kart?

For views, that's why. It is in NO WAY meant to be a long term use project. It's done to challenge the builder, but mainly to get views. I can guarantee that he does not ride it around on a regular basis. It's all for views/to make money.
all he is doing is for views, none of his projects left his yard..

panchothedog

Reaction score
It is almost beyond belief that there are men ( males I guess ) that are so
UNMECHANICALLY inclined and just flat CLUELESS about building things
that they were not able to see the tongue in cheek side of Master Hack 's
posts about building a kart out of Balsa Wood. The man was being as purposefully absurd as he could be. Talking about light weight flexibility for more speed and better handling. I found it to be a good laugh and quite entertaining . Actually a little surprised the originator of this post didn't chime in with a few questions.

Cartinfun

Reaction score
It is almost beyond belief that there are men ( males I guess ) that are so
UNMECHANICALLY inclined and just flat CLUELESS about building things
that they were not able to see the tongue in cheek side of Master Hack 's
posts about building a kart out of Balsa Wood. The man was being as purposefully absurd as he could be. Talking about light weight flexibility for more speed and better handling. I found it to be a good laugh and quite entertaining . Actually a little surprised the originator of this post didn't chime in with a few questions.

I don't think I caught the balsa wood part of that. You don't think it could be done using the proper wood? Wood frame with stretched canvas was done for airplanes and boats for YEARS. I bet it could be done. The jarring forces and pressures sustained in an airplane would be comparable to that of a go kart. Other than me missing the wood type on his post I think it is something that COULD be done. Are there better choices, yes of course. Would I attempt it, if I had tons of free time and wanted to do it as a fun project/experiement, yes I would.

Your assertion that someone was "clueless" or "unmechanically inclined" for thinking it could be done are way off base and rude and shows the possibility of you being that which you assert.

pearl111

Reaction score
You are probably right, but I'm sure it took years and years of trial and eras & failures & experiments. Also all the money you would have to sink into the project.
I say if you have that much time and all that money then go for it.
You can get back with us in few years and let us know how far you got.

Master Hack

Reaction score
I think Cartinfun is exploring what might be possible, not necessarily practical. How many advances in technology are going to be made if nobody thinks outside of the box? Maybe balsa and carbon fiber? How about a simple conversion from gas power to hydrogen power? Since our government seems bent on banning fossil fuels?
There isn't very much about this thread that anyone should take too serious!