BRIGGS VANGAURD 9HP THROTTLE SETUP

Thepartsguy

Well-known member
Messages
1,509
Reaction score
1,388
You would think for someone that just joined the community to learn some information other members would have the courtesy not to degrade and make fun of them in hopes to grow there community.
I degraded you don’t wanna help others or grow the karting community because I said your gokarts throttle linkage was packed with dirt??? I’m not buyin it.. we are telling you you have to service old corroded messed with parts for them to work correctly. I don’t know what else to say.
 

rd1970

Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
67
OK I wondered about damaging the governor with increased rpm but wasn't sure if raising it 1k rpm would be safe. I wasn't aware they used a decompressioner on the cam either so probably another good reason to not raise the rpm. Sounds like if anything the governor should be removed for best performance but the engine doesn't leak and with no more than it will gain I probably wont open it up. This is what I needed to know, I thought there externally that could be modified easily to gain but sounds like besides maintenance on the linkage there's not much to gain from the outside.
 

rd1970

Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
67
I degraded you don’t wanna help others or grow the karting community because I said your gokarts throttle linkage was packed with dirt??? I’m not buyin it.. we are telling you you have to service old corroded messed with parts for them to work correctly. I don’t know what else to say.
I was referring to the comment " I wouldn’t have had to ask what was wrong on here in the first place"
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
A sticking throttle, and an ungovorned engine are two completely different situations. In your first post, your very first comment was about the throttle sticking. Myself and others jumped in to comment on how absolutely filthy it was. Since then look at how many members of this forum have responded to try to help you with your problem. Nobody was trying to hurt your feelings.
We get questions here all the time from people who want to hop up their engine
or make their kart go faster that don't know the difference between the spark plug and the handle you pull to start the engine. On first appearance, your post fit THAT description. Obviously you are not that GREEN. By the same account
we are not that MEAN. There are literally hundreds of years of small engine and
go kart experience spread throughout the membership of this forum.
Now that HOPEFULLY all misunderstanding is out of the way, you will stick around and be successful in building yourself a nice kart.
 

redflash

Well-known member
Messages
650
Reaction score
625
I'm a nice guy.............................I just hate people who try to resurrect flatheads !
 

Thepartsguy

Well-known member
Messages
1,509
Reaction score
1,388
thinking about this logically NOBODY on this forum should EVER HELP ANYONE gain more engine rpm and wheelspeed directly after they tell us the throttle return setup working is a given. We want you to have fun. But we don’t wanna see you get hurt. we’re always willing to help.
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,994
Reaction score
8,506
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
With repairs there is always a step 1. And that is to clean and free up everything first. You did not do that yet you come in asking why things are sticking. When we tell you the truth you get all but hurt? I’m out of here!
 

rd1970

Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
67
With repairs there is always a step 1. And that is to clean and free up everything first. You did not do that yet you come in asking why things are sticking. When we tell you the truth you get all but hurt? I’m out of here
Some of you guys kill me lol or maybe cant read or have hard time comprehending. I'm not mad not upset that anyone advised me to clean the throttle. That said the main information I was after was the governor adjustment and linkage rod set up. Yes I could of worded the post different. The issue arose when comments of " I wouldn’t have had to ask what was wrong on here in the first place" "Aw, come on. Can't I just rub some mud on it and then leave it out side for a year or two" "how is it not OBVIOUS" . Honestly I could carless don't know any of you at all. There's tons of stuff I know about that most people on here have never seen or heard off. just like I'm sure all of you no things I have no idea about that's why I came here that's why I asked. I'm just saying in the future give advise and educate without comments like these with someone that you don't know. You want to razz your buddies go for it, but but why treat someone you know nothing about that way. Wow this went from simple go kart question to life lessons. Thank you to all that gave me good advise I think I'm just going with clean and maintenance for now but it will be a bit before I can test is out as the engine is pulled and I'm looking for some suspension parts for repairs to the chassis.
 

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
197
Location
Wisconsin
Some of you guys kill me lol or maybe cant read or have hard time comprehending. I'm not mad not upset that anyone advised me to clean the throttle. That said the main information I was after was the governor adjustment and linkage rod set up. Yes I could of worded the post different. The issue arose when comments of " I wouldn’t have had to ask what was wrong on here in the first place" "Aw, come on. Can't I just rub some mud on it and then leave it out side for a year or two" "how is it not OBVIOUS" . Honestly I could carless don't know any of you at all. There's tons of stuff I know about that most people on here have never seen or heard off. just like I'm sure all of you no things I have no idea about that's why I came here that's why I asked. I'm just saying in the future give advise and educate without comments like these with someone that you don't know. You want to razz your buddies go for it, but but why treat someone you know nothing about that way. Wow this went from simple go kart question to life lessons. Thank you to all that gave me good advise I think I'm just going with clean and maintenance for now but it will be a bit before I can test is out as the engine is pulled and I'm looking for some suspension parts for repairs to the chassis.
were all friends here, joining the forum puts you in the group until otherwise proven. wed love to have your knowledgeable input on stuff!(i don't mean that sarcastically)
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
If you feel like staying, we'd like to follow along with the resurrection or rebuilding of your kart. How about a picture of the thing. Only thing we've seen so far is your throttle linkage, and that's probably been discussed enough for the time being. I mean that really. BTW, 9 horse power is probably a 300cc engine. Geared right, and depending on tire size, converter or not could be made to run pretty hard even with the govoner connected.
 

rd1970

Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
67
These are the only ones I have of when I brought it home. In it's current state it is bare frame. Seamed like decent shape but upon further inspection axle was bent ,front tierods and spindles bent as well as one of the control arms. I'm going to cut the front push bumper off to PO put on and repair the frame they cut to install the larger motor. Front tires need replaced and a few other things. Thinking about painting it army green. And adding lights I believe this engine has a lighting output I'm not sure yet.20230316_183403.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20230316_183414.jpg
    20230316_183414.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
WOW! You have a Manco Intruder. A really nice kart. I have one, and of the 4 karts I own it is my favorite, ( probably because it's the largest and the easiest for me to get in and out of ). I think they came originally with a 7 hp engine. Mine has decals saying so. Mine has a 301 predator ( 8 hp stock ) and they only cut the horizontal bar across the back between the down tubes that are part of the roll cage. They cut horizontal side bars on yours. Doesn't look like it was necessary. My engine comes in and out easy with just the rear missing.
You NEED to get your side bars reconnected to the end of the roll cage down tubes because the top of your rear shocks attach right there. You might have to employ a welding shop to fab something up for you. Don't know how well equipped you are, it will probably require a tube bender and so good welding.
Really great that you have a 40 series torque converter. That is a very stout piece that will handle all the power that your engine or any other engine you might install will put out.
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
Just looked back at your 1st post. So it's a silver fox, not an intruder. Still Very similar looking. What is the wheelbase, 68" . Mine had lights on it and yours looks like it came with them also. Those mounts up front at steering wheel height.
 

rd1970

Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
67
Just looked back at your 1st post. So it's a silver fox, not an intruder. Still Very similar looking. What is the wheelbase, 68" . Mine had lights on it and yours looks like it came with them also. Those mounts up front at steering wheel height.
I'm not exactly sure what it is. From what I have gathered Manco made this cart and must of called it a bunch of different names maybe depending on where it was sold at I'm not sure. I've seen them called a intruder,magnum,scorpion,silverfox but there all identical besides the color. I plan on adding to bars straight back and then welding a bar across the back to tie the cage and shock mounts together. I can weld decent but don't have a tubing bender capable and I believe it will be just as strong. I can see where the rails have already started bending in so I thing it need something to hold the rails side to side. I'm thinking about starting another thread in the build section I don't want to get in trouble since its starting to get away from the engine discussion now. How can you tell the torque convertor is a 40 series I was thinking it was a 30 series? The PO moved it around I guess due to the engine swap. All the ones I see the driven pulley is to the rear of the engine this one is to the front. The sprocket on the ones I see are also on the same side as the convertor, But on this one the sprocket is on the other side of the engine and there is a gear on the other side of the jack shaft that drives it. I don't know that this will hurt anything this way if anyone has any input?
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,994
Reaction score
8,506
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
MANKO did that for packaging reasons with the front mounted driven and the sprockets on the other side of the jack shaft. Plus it helps load the jackshaft and bearings more evenly.
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
When I expand the picture of the back of your kart, I get a good look at the driver clutch ( the one on the engine ). It is clearly a 40 series. They are different
enough that you can tell. The bar you are going to put across the back too tie the two sides together (good idea ) you should fabricate something to bolt on instead. If you weld it on it is going to be impossible to remove the engine. You don't want that. A couple of gusset like plates in the kart, and matching ones on the cross bar, drilled and bolted up flat would still give you a lot of strength and be removable when necessary.
 
Top