Briggs & Stratton 2 cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Briggs & Stratton 2 Cycle Powered GoKart

Almost ready. Just needs fuel tank. Hardest part was getting throttle linkage to operate cleanly.
Too bad it's not a live axle as I have 2 of these engines and would love to mount them both.
Eventually muffler will go and will switch to a short megaphone.

Attachments

• Briggs & Stratton 2 cycle(1).JPG
    Briggs & Stratton 2 cycle(1).JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Briggs & Stratton 2 cycle(2).JPG
    Briggs & Stratton 2 cycle(2).JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Very nice setup,theres nothing like a 2 stroke,ive got a 2 stroke 340cc Kawasaki engine (around 35hp) in my golf cart and it really winds out.

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Hey russ where do you get the rear sprocket that connects on the wheel and what size chain you using is that a 41 pitch.
Also do you have or can you take a picture of the wheel sprocket setup so i can see how it bolts together.
are your engine plates aluminum?

robin

Reaction score
Very nice setup,theres nothing like a 2 stroke,ive got a 2 stroke 340cc Kawasaki engine (around 35hp) in my golf cart and it really winds out.

thats not alot for that cc aprila rs125s have 30bhp standard

my rx is puting out more than 16 and its 50cc bored out to an 80

Russ2251

Reaction score
Hey russ where do you get the rear sprocket that connects on the wheel and what size chain you using is that a 41 pitch.
Also do you have or can you take a picture of the wheel sprocket setup so i can see how it bolts together.
are your engine plates aluminum?
I bought kart as a kit from here:
http://www.tres-angle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GFOM&Product_Code=YK020WX
Tires, wheels and driven sprocket here:
YK044 http://www.tres-angle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GFOM&Product_Code=YK044
YK042 http://www.tres-angle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GFOM&Product_Code=YK042
Drive wheel and sprocket are purchased pre-assembled (72 tooth in my pic) and comes apart if you want to change sprocket. Brake drum was part of this assembly. I have switched between 72 tooth and 60 tooth. Chain is #35. I originally got the knobby tires but recently switched to slicks.
Engine mount is 6061 T6 aluminum throughout and bolted together.
Carburetor is an NOS Tillotson HL from around the late '60's and works best on all my 2 cycle engines which includes Clintons, Lawn-Boys, and Jacobsens.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
So are you going to run a diaphram fuel pump russ? I was thinking you where seeing that pulse line (vaccum line) on the intake manufold.

Russ2251

Reaction score
Pump is integral to carb. I normally tap into crankcase for vacuum pulse which requires tearing down engine. I don't want to take this one apart as it is brand new. When I rebuild any 2 cycle I automatically put taps in them. If I use a bowl carb (unlikely) I can just cap off taps.

Attachments

• Lawn-Boy crankcase tap.JPG
    Lawn-Boy crankcase tap.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Russ2251

Reaction score
The membrane of the Fuel Pump is activated by the vacuum pulses from the crankcase (or in this case intake manifold). The fuel is pumped and enters through the Fuel Inlet. Without this line carb would not operate. Doesn't matter where pulse comes from as long as it is not a constant vacuum.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
ohhh i get it now it still requires a vacume its just the pump is built into the carb sorry im not good with these diaphram carbs but im good with flat slide bowled 33 mm and 42 mm mikunis and stuff

russo2

Reaction score
how does that work? the whole vacuum thing your talking bout,
i have ever seen something like it on a small engine

jr dragster T

Reaction score
well in junior drag racing we use single cylinder engines. (still concidered a small engine) and we all use diaphram fuel pumps we draw the vacuum off the intake then from the hose off the intake it goes to a pump where there is two rubber plates about 2 and 1/2 inches big. And the fuel is between the two plates and there is a vacum behinde one of the plates pulling them appart then there is a spring to push the rubber plate back forward so the rubber plate goes back and forward so fast it pump's fuel out the outlet on the pump which leads to the carb. And the pump im talking about is external from the carb. And there is a few small engines out there that use the pump im talking about. If the gas tank is lower then the carb then it obviosly needs a pump of some kind. Sorry for taking over your thread Russ

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I'm glad you described how those carbs work. I'm fairly a noob to some of this small engine stuff, in particular how the carbs work.

Russ2251

Reaction score
i have ever seen something like it on a small engine
Actually they are quite common: Weedeaters, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, large r/c aircraft, etc.
Most engines that use a diaphragm carb do not have exposed tubing for pulse that is needed to activate diaphragms, rather, it is 'built in'. There would be a small hole in carb base that lines up with hole in crankcase or intake manifold and therefore this pulse line would be not be visible.
Simply put...the diaphragm takes the place of the float that is found in a bowl type carburetor. Diaphragm is connected to a needle valve that is opened (allowing more fuel in) when a vacuum is applied.
Diaphragm carbs are less bulky and can run in any position but can be a real pain in the a$$ to troubleshoot. Without them I'd be dead in the water.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
it is 'built in'. There would be a small hole in carb base that lines up with hole in crankcase or intake manifold and therefore this pulse line would be not be visible.

THAT'S what that little hole is for! I was wondering about that for a long time!

You, sir Russ, are offically awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.