Briggs 250

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Messages
5,998
Reaction score
3,002
Location
Atlanta, GA
You're burning up belts because of the gear ratio. Trying to accommodate that engine and it's 1" shaft is going to get old.
 

Edwin Spangler

Well-known member
Messages
1,080
Reaction score
1,073
1. There are no centrifugal clutches for a 1” shaft with a 10 tooth sprocket. Or even a 12 tooth for that matter.
Hold up, you sure?


*NOT THAT I SUGGEST ANYONE BUY FROM GPS*
 

Darren

Active member
Messages
163
Reaction score
238
Location
Essex, England
I'm from the karting side of things and the centrifugal clutch rules BUT we want the clutch to come in around 2600rpm and snap on, I rev to around 8000rpm, the kart is geared accordingly 17-83 with 10inch tyres, torque converter looks to be the thing for your setup. Denny has a lot of input for torque converters, there's a few guys on here that really know them. if they advise then you can guarantee they'll put you straight for an efficient reliable drive. Do you have the space to piggy back a larger sprocket off your current one? A bit of trigonometry to find the centre then bolt the two together.
 

Gweetodag

New member
Messages
12
Reaction score
3
Anyone who has any actual real world experience will tell you the same things.
1. There are no centrifugal clutches for a 1” shaft with a 10 tooth sprocket. Or even a 12 tooth for that matter.
2. Centrifugal clutches are no where near robust enough to hold up to your application. They need to be run at full throttle all the time.
3. The advantages of a CVT (torque converter) is the infinite number of gear ratios to help get your bike moving.
4. The 30 series is more than capable of holding up to the power you are making as long as you treat it right. (Gear ratios, quality belt, properly cleaned and lubed with dry graphite.)
5. If you don’t agree with my advice that’s ok, wait for someone else to come by and ask them.

I hope I have answered all your questions satisfactorily.
Ok thank you I appreciate it but I’m going for more top speed here. The engine runs like garbage when it’s low in the rpm’s with the torque converter when it’s up top. I’m going to run a clutch with a jack shaft to turn the 14 down to a 12 tooth. I found a machine shop that will do what I need done for a decent price, and In a timely manner. So thank you again for the advice but that’s the way I think I’m going.
 

milesguy81

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
15
Location
Somewhere in Utah
If its going 7000 rpm with a 23" wheel and a 4:1 ratio in a perfect world youd top out at 120. Thats probably not real maybe you go 80 but thats pretty fast I think you need a bigger driven sprocket to not destroy a clutch. 4:1 with a 23" tire is insane I dont know how you even moved with a 30 series. But if you keep that 30 series on and go with a 60 or 72 tooth driven you could launch way better and probably wouldnt burn up belts as much. You can get a 72 tooth for 30 40 bux on OMB and gopowersports then just mark and use a hand drill and a vice to put new holes if they dont match AND with a 7.2:1 you get 65 as a top.
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
12,013
Reaction score
8,521
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
Ok thank you I appreciate it but I’m going for more top speed here. The engine runs like garbage when it’s low in the rpm’s with the torque converter when it’s up top. I’m going to run a clutch with a jack shaft to turn the 14 down to a 12 tooth. I found a machine shop that will do what I need done for a decent price, and In a timely manner. So thank you again for the advice but that’s the way I think I’m going.
Well since you are far smarter than I am obviously I will leave you alone now. I’m sorry.
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,923
Reaction score
3,964
Some of the best people on here have tried to tell you that you need a much larger rear sprocket for your setup to work. You replied that you can't find one in your price range, but yet you are able to pay a machine shop to build your a custom jack shaft assembly. Buy the 84 tooth sprocket and pay the machine shop to drill it to match your existing one. I'll garuntee you that it will be cheaper than building a jack shaft unit. FYI, centrifugal clutches routinely fail on karts with 18" tires because it's too much of a load. With your 23" tire it doesn't even stand a chance of working. We are TRYING VERY HARD to prevent a hard headed numbskull ( you ) from wasting your money. You came here asking for advice, but our answers don't seem to fit your preconceived su
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,923
Reaction score
3,964
your preconceived decision. Since you seem to know more than all of us, which is collectively well more than 100 years of experience, I hope you don't waste too much money. Suit yourself bud.
 
Top