Brand new TQ belt breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastian

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
Arlington, KS
It was in a kit so I think the belt was the proper size. The only thing I can think of is the kit came with two washers that I couldn't figure out where they went so I put them on either side of the jack sprocket which may have offset the driven clutch too much? The other thing is it might have been a bad belt, I did see at least one hairline crack across the smooth part of the belt.
 

Sebastian

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
Arlington, KS
IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4683.JPG
In the picture of the clutch, I'm pointing out where the shaft ends. The shaft wasn't quite long enough. It seems to be all right but I thought I'd mention it anyway. That second picture is just before the belt broke.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Your clutches look "off" a little. I mean like, not perfectly aligned. Get a pic from birds eye view, straight down .
The shaft is like that on everybody's set up...... Don't sweat that part..... NOTHING wrong there.....
 

porsche930dude

New member
Messages
906
Reaction score
29
Location
Upstate, NY
youre chain is obviously out of line but you would fix that by moving the axle or engine not messing with the driven. to line up the torque converter pulleys you need to line up the inner sheaves so the belt is straight when its at rest. not sure why the belt broke thats really odd. i guess it could happen if the chain locked up when it was under full load
 

Sebastian

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
Arlington, KS
IMG_4783.JPG
I know the chain is not aligned but I was hoping it would work anyway because it worked with my centrifugal clutch and the engine will be really hard to move.
How do you move an axel, that sounds interesting.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
View attachment 50370
I know the chain is not aligned but I was hoping it would work anyway because it worked with my centrifugal clutch and the engine will be really hard to move.
How do you move an axel, that sounds interesting.

Oh boy, here we go again..... :lolgoku:
Hey nice try with that straight edge, but it needs to be on the other side..... The face of that part your touching should be in line with the one your pointing at. You almost had it right.... :thumbsup:
You don't need to move your axle, only the axle components. (ie, sprocket/hub..... ) :thumbsup:
 

Sebastian

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
Arlington, KS
Oh boy, here we go again..... :lolgoku:
Hey nice try with that straight edge, but it needs to be on the other side..... The face of that part your touching should be in line with the one your pointing at. You almost had it right.... :thumbsup:
You don't need to move your axle, only the axle components. (ie, sprocket/hub..... ) :thumbsup:
OK thanks,:cheers2: I wasn't sure which parts to line up. So thats probably what broke the belt?
Yeah thats a differential. The chain isn't quite as far off as the picture shows and the chain never came off. Is lining up the chain perfectly that important?
 

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Messages
2,673
Reaction score
98
Location
U.S.A.
Lining everything up is important. Any little differences can cause something to bind which will throw everything off. And when it throws something off its always the weaker part aka in your case the belt maybe. But the belt pulleys need aligned also more than not...........


The top of this diagram is towards the engine
SO THIS END ENGINE. LOL
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
:iagree::thumbsup:
Great reply, Joe! :thumbsup:
I don't think the senior members could have put it any better..... ! You're ok, from ok,ok..... Ok? :lolgoku:
 

Sebastian

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
Arlington, KS
So how far offset can it safely be? I know it should be perfect but my sprocket/jack sprocket alignment is only about 1/8" maybe 3/16" off and it would be really hard to move the whole engine. I fixed the clutches and now they aren't more than 1/16 off, if that. Thanks:)
 

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Messages
2,673
Reaction score
98
Location
U.S.A.
I would take another pic. Now we are on another problem. Since you said you got the belt alignment fixed. And also take a picture of the center of the sprocket where it meets the axle.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
If your clutches line up correctly, good. If your sprockets are still lined up, then good.... You're done.
BUT if neither of those is perfectly aligned, break out the tool box again buddy..... It's better to spend the TIME to fix it, right, now, than spend MONEY later, for replacement parts, AND more TIME later......
I tell all the rookies this little phrase....... "A lazy man works TWICE as hard....... "
That's not directly directed to the OP, just saying..... Fix it now or fix it later..... Eventually, you're gonna have to fix it..... :cheers2:
 

Sebastian

New member
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
Arlington, KS
I would take another pic. Now we are on another problem. Since you said you got the belt alignment fixed. And also take a picture of the center of the sprocket where it meets the axle.
Here's a picture of the axel also some pictures of the alignment after I fixed it. The two clutches are now perfect but the sprocket alignment is still 1/4" off. How would I fix that? I can't weld and the adjustment slots are back and forth not side to side.
Thanks so much for the help so far.:cheers2:
IMG_4859.JPG

IMG_4861.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4870.JPG
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Pic number 2 shows the top of a set screw(on to of hub) . Loosen that, tap the axle sprocket in the proper direction to fix alignment, then re tighten set screw..... :thumbsup:
 

porsche930dude

New member
Messages
906
Reaction score
29
Location
Upstate, NY
you need to figure out what is holding the axle from sliding side to side. sometimes there are set screws on the bearings you can loosten them to shift it over. but if there is just spacers at the wheels then you would need to take the whole thing apart and adjust it accordingly. the diff doesnt have any adjustment for that
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top