Box Trailer Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.

machinist@large

Active member
Messages
2,865
Reaction score
33
Location
West Michigan, 49331
Dood... ME??? :mad:

Hey, i've known some 'Yoda fanatics that claimed the running gear under their rig was stronger than the 11,000 lb cap. GM 14 bolt full floater under the rear of my dually.

I didn't THINK you were one of those,erm... "individuals", but when I didn't see any provisions for a positive lock in your previous pics, I was starting to worry......:surrender::oops::ack2:
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
It may be just my "over engineering" talking but, are you sure a 3/8" pin will hold, potentially, a ton?

It's 1/2", and yes. There's also a section of 1/4" angle either side of the tongue itself to stop it from wandering side-to side. Not to mention- I DO know how to load a trailer, I always bias the load forward of the axle.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
:surrender: OK, what was your tip off? I know what mine was;(and I think the rest of the forum will have NO trouble figuring it out either......):oops:

If they can't, they got NO business turning a wrench!!!

I tossed it on the frame upside down so I could put the grinder to the bottom all the way around, to get the last of the rusty hunks of original frame off of it.

Then I flipped it back over, and wouldn't ya know it, it fit! :smiley_omg: I just finished getting the body tacked on, but it's too dark for a pic.
 

machinist@large

Active member
Messages
2,865
Reaction score
33
Location
West Michigan, 49331
If they can't, they got NO business turning a wrench!!!

I tossed it on the frame upside down so I could put the grinder to the bottom all the way around, to get the last of the rusty hunks of original frame off of it.

Then I flipped it back over, and wouldn't ya know it, it fit! :smiley_omg: I just finished getting the body tacked on, but it's too dark for a pic.

The joys of having a front end loader at your beck and call; I figured that's what you were doing (maybe because i would do the same? Hmmmm.....)

Looks like you're doing great; this does have me asking a question of you. I've got a basic series of reference books on trailer design, building, and maintenance; I'm only missing one vol. because it was being updated when I ordered them. It might be a little to in depth for most of the forum (goes up to 5th wheel design in the +20,000 lb range), should I dig it out and try to present it here? (in it's own thread, of course)
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Dang- I wish I had those books!

Sure- put up whatever info you like. I'm sure some folks like myself would appreciate it. I'm a sucker for information...

And yeah- you're dang right I picked it up and moved it around with the tractor... Why wouldn't I? Takes a lot less physical effort to move a couple of levers, rather than heaving a rather awkward hunk o' steel around!
 

machinist@large

Active member
Messages
2,865
Reaction score
33
Location
West Michigan, 49331
Dang- I wish I had those books!

Sure- put up whatever info you like. I'm sure some folks like myself would appreciate it. I'm a sucker for information...

Then I'll start digging.

And yeah- you're dang right I picked it up and moved it around with the tractor... Why wouldn't I? Takes a lot less physical effort to move a couple of levers, rather than heaving a rather awkward hunk o' steel around!

:funnypost: Are you trying to say you don't want your voice to get any squeakier than it is right now? Of course, now that you mentioned it, I used to work with a guy that once had a case of, in his words "muscles in his $**t".

The fact that he was a FORMER weightlifter might be a clue......:oops::surrender::ack2:
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Finalized the tilt actuation system today... Used the U-joint from an '80's chevy steering column, some 1/2" round bar, a 1/2" pillow block, and-

For the removable handle, a surplus 13/16" spark plug socket and matching nut... Works beautifully. Note that I used 1/2" rod, not shaft- so I had to give it a little love with a grinder and file to get the bearing on...
 

Attachments

  • mechanism.jpg
    mechanism.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 11
  • handle1.jpg
    handle1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 9
  • handle2.jpg
    handle2.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG01974-20130608-2051.jpg
    IMG01974-20130608-2051.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 9

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Neat idea :thumbsup: Looks like something I could've used for my spare wheel carrier
Thanks- And funny you should mention it- I just went over your trailer build again, seeking concepts for my own spare tire mount!

Unfortunately, I've got no components on hand that could serve as an underbody winch (I think), and I'm keeping this as low-buck as possible... So I will stare at it awhile today and think something up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top