Bolts 101, fixin broken ones and other shop mayhem

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Comet never made a backplate for the 40 series. Only aftermarket. It wasn’t originally meant to be used like that. Plates, reverse springs, alignment issues… toss em in the bin. I think with the reverse spring, you still want the driven to float on the Jackshaft to allow self alignment during the shift. I remember the convo with sid but don’t remember how the driver unit was installed on this engine.
IMG_6136.jpegIMG_6135.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
What is preferred orientation with 40 series and backplate with which spring? I believe the last photo shows the original comet set up. Both movable sheaves move same direction.

IMG_6138.jpegIMG_6140.jpegIMG_6139.jpeg

Last edited:

Master Hack

Reaction score
I've looked at putting a jackshaft in there, but there is no way. Just no room. I'm stuck with the plate, which works fine. We've covered a lot of good stuff, but how to fix this malfunction, using what l have. The plate is 3/16 steel, so it's plenty heavy duty. I just need to hold it still. There might be a little extra power going through this thing, and there is a lot of weight to haul around.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
OK, Please elaborate on the floating driven thing. So yer sayin the driven is loose on the shaft, so it can move side to side by 7/8 inch?
I’d only worry about it if belt alignment is an issue. most people don’t float the driven.

My brain don’t work so good. I forget a lot of what I used to know.

Alignment when disengaged means unaligned when shifted (depending on orientation inboard / outboard or each unit.). A floating driven unit (sliding along the jackshaft) allows the sheaves to stay aligned from unengaged throughout the shift. Comet instructions state DriveR unit must not float, but doesn’t mention driven unit. In my head, they were always thinking about allowing the driven to float.

Enjoy these useless scribbles trying to show belt angle before and after shifting.

image.jpg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
If you look into snow mobiles…. Lots of discussion about floating secondary clutches. I guess it’s been a hop topic . I guess it boils down to wear on the belt vs wear on the shaft. Belt angle may be important to your side cover mount issue tho.?

“The floating secondary was a thing that tryed back in 73 when all the racers were blowing belts . This cured the problem skidoo used a floating secondary for 25 years them some young engener got a brain wave that he knew more than the old guys and floating the secondary was no good . Now we are back to a lot of belt dust and belt ware the belts are better than the ones we had in 1973 so blowen belts are not near as bad today. Duck 's kit fixes this problem .”

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Looks good to me. I think floating the secondary is most beneficial when using the yellow (reverse wound) spring and the movable sheaves on each clutch move in opposite directions. As long as one clutch is inboard and one outboard, the alignment during/after the shift shouldn’t be as much of an issue.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Today on Egor's workshop wees gunna shift gears a little. The CVT remodel and refit will be put on hold while we change the subject to,
What the f%@(*&^!#% happened here and just how good are those chinese replacement engine blocks?

IMG_4201.jpeg

Egor is not happy. He may be hungover tomorrow....

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Oh no. I see 390 blocks for $70. Not sure if Japanese or Chinese.
I do love the look of those fancy welded blocks.
IMG_6149.jpegIMG_6150.jpegIMG_6151.jpegIMG_6152.jpegIMG_6153.jpeg

Last edited: