Binding up on assembly

Walter Keller

Reaction score
Today I was installing a new rod and cam in a 196cc clone ....all seemed to be normal except when the case cover is installed and bolts tightened. Once the bolts are tight the crank will not turn over. I even tried the original cam with the same results. The crank and rod turn over easy without the cam in place....even with the cam in place with out the cover installed they turn.

Any ideas on the problem?
Thanks

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Will it turn at all?

One time I had a small piece of metal in my cam gear teeth, so it would turn almost two revolutions and then lock up. Due to the piece being near the edge, it would only do that with the sidecover on.
Check the gear teeth.

KartFab

Reaction score
you need to do what people call "clearancing" if the cam is new (a racing cam) then there are a number of locations that could contact rotating parts that should not.

Most times, the connecting rod will contact the area of the cam between the cam lobes, so the cam needs to be ground off at that spot.

Another spot is with these higher duration cams, the cam lobes contact the high edges of the crankshaft journal. The edges need to be ground down.

Other areas that contact sometimes are the cam lobe to connecting rod.
Lifters can top out on the flat spots of the lifter.
cam lobes can touch the aforementioned parts, as well as the side of the crank and connecting rod.
lobes of the cam can also touch the compression release and break it. It is important to be able to reach into the crankcase and actuate the compression release at all degrees of engine rotation through all cycles. You can have a compression release CLEAR everything when it is in its default position, but be in contact with rotating parts when it is in the other position.

you need to buy a side cover and cut the top and bottom off of it, so you can see into the crankcase from the bottom and top with a flashlight and turn the engine over. The crankcase cover will still need to be able to be bolted to the block, and just holds the cam and crank bearing.

good luck. If you just throw it together like that something will eventually break off, even if you can get it to run.

Also, since y ou said you are having that problem with the OLD cam and the NEW rod? Then it further shows that you might just have the connecting rod rubbing on the spot between the cam lobes. Also, check your crank end play as you tighten the crank. You might not have the crank bearings properly seated, which could bind the crank.

Bottom line, anything you touched could be messed up and you have to go through every thing you touched to rule out user error.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Do you have a case cover gasket in place? I've heard it's required as it acts as a shim to give the crank and cam some endplay, without it (or using sealant in lieu of) can reduce that required end play and cause what you're describing. You've mentioned that you put the stock cam back in and still have the same issue so the cam is ruled out as an issue. Did you replace crank bearings?

Walter Keller

Reaction score
Today I removed all the new parts and tried assembling the case with only the crank in place ....same thing happened. The side cover doesnt seat all the way against the main case. At that point I'd had my fill of that engine so I boxed up the parts and grabbed a new donor engine....a HF Greyhound. I bought the greyhound a few year back on clearence and its been sitting on the shelf ever since.
All the new parts where installed on the Greyhound without any problems....only thing I can figure is theres a main bearing issue....a project for another day.