Big plans-small experience (first kart)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott_shot

Reaction score
Yeh i though i would have to widen the wheel base to compensate. seats right back to that bar at the back. seems this was a kids kart:s never make things easy for myself like lol

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
is this a kid size or adult size kart? if it's a kid size kart then you'll probably be better off leaving things the way they were, clean it up and sell it.

scott_shot

Reaction score
Really is this going to pose problems or anything like that? It says on a warning label no one under 12 is to ride but i do think is very small?

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
if you're determined to do it, here's where i'd cut and weld the new extended pieces on. if you don't have a tube bender - it's gonna look pretty cheesy.

Attachments

• Photo1389.jpg
    Photo1389.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 11

scott_shot

Reaction score
Right well i suppose thats a very valid opinion and the more i think about the editing/lengthening of the body, fabrication of swing arm new axle, breaks front suspension steering etc my 75GBP bargain will probably increase in cost quite dramatically (Especially as i dont wled yet). Havent made my mind up 100% but i have read a couple of Mysteryboy's builds which are phenomenal in quality and if he brought up th idea then i know its certainly a strong suggestion......

:( severely gutted to think about though like lol

Will be 1 step forwards, long stumble back. Ok Well time will tell
as i am a bit disorientated atm :lolgoku:

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
yeah, you need a welder, and you need to practice it a bit. a tube bender, a grinder, a cutoff saw, electric drill and drill bits (1/16" to 1/2"), welding gloves, various grinding and finishing disks, socket and wrench set, hammers and screwdrivers - these are all pretty essential to making and modifying go-karts and buggies in a way that looks professional. an air compressor comes in handy too for filling tires and blowing dirt and crud off stuff, as well as a paint sprayer gun (i still use rattle/spray cans).

if you're ready to dive into this and get your hands dirty and learn a lot (research research!), and you have unlimited access most of the tools mentioned above - you can do some quality work.

Amped

Reaction score
Right well i suppose thats a very valid opinion and the more i think about the editing/lengthening of the body, fabrication of swing arm new axle, breaks front suspension steering etc my 75GBP bargain will probably increase in cost quite dramatically (Especially as i dont wled yet). Havent made my mind up 100% but i have read a couple of Mysteryboy's builds which are phenomenal in quality and if he brought up th idea then i know its certainly a strong suggestion......

:( severely gutted to think about though like lol

Will be 1 step forwards, long stumble back. Ok Well time will tell
as i am a bit disorientated atm :lolgoku:

The experience gained will be priceless though. Learning to weld isn't hard. And its a valuable skill. All you need is a welder some metal some instruction and lots of practice .

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
What about flogging the 600 and buy a smaller engine? If you can find a 250-500cc twin you could probably get away without doing any major modifications to that frame. Just do the engine mounts. A 500 or smaller twin would most likely have under 55hp, which is much better than the 600's 100hp.

scott_shot

Reaction score
yeah, you need a welder, and you need to practice it a bit. a tube bender, a grinder, a cutoff saw, electric drill and drill bits (1/16" to 1/2"), welding gloves, various grinding and finishing disks, socket and wrench set, hammers and screwdrivers - these are all pretty essential to making and modifying go-karts and buggies in a way that looks professional. an air compressor comes in handy too for filling tires and blowing dirt and crud off stuff, as well as a paint sprayer gun (i still use rattle/spray cans).

if you're ready to dive into this and get your hands dirty and learn a lot (research research!), and you have unlimited access most of the tools mentioned above - you can do some quality work.

1000% ready to dive in buddy i am the practical hands on learner, and i have all the basics there except the proper essentials (Welder, tube bender,cutoff saw and although i have air compressor for my paint sprayer it does need replaced tbh, that was where my uncle would play his role.
I also have the gift of time as work will have dried right up over the winter and am fairly patient if i believe the goal is worth it.

I always thrived on the thought that what i have just now was going to be transformed into my 'Vision'
So quick question and this answer will seal my choice MOD or BUILD? Will the small buggy basically redesigned be capable strong and worth while? (taking into consideration as its built like the hoover dam as it is just now) If done right.
and is welding fairly easy to learn its just the practice that makes the difference because if so i think i will just build/design from scratch.

:cheers2: you and a lot of others should charge for your patience and advice you give us aspiring NooBs

Don't get any money grabbing ideas though ;)

scott_shot

Reaction score
geez i just seen that by the time i wrote that i missed 2 posts, no disrespect guys im cream crackerd and will get back to u in the morning (prob your middle of night haha )

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
we'd like to see a pic of you sitting in it with the seat to get a better idea of the size. if it's too small - then make it pretty and run good, and sell it. then put that money into a full-size mini-buggy (full size mini? lol) fixer-upper. :)

i think it's best to tinker with and fix a couple first to get the basic concepts, and by all means pick up a cheap flux-core welder and get some practice. i dove head first into go-karts last year, and haven't stopped since. :)

scott_shot

Reaction score
What about flogging the 600 and buy a smaller engine? If you can find a 250-500cc twin you could probably get away without doing any major modifications to that frame. Just do the engine mounts. A 500 or smaller twin would most likely have under 55hp, which is much better than the 600's 100hp.

Really :s i would quite like to have it and not need it than to need and not have lol, as im hoping to use a torque cnvertor and have loads of oomf n not bother with top speed. but i certainly know where your coming from. I mean my family car has only got 105hp and thats met to be a 'Hot Hatchback' l:lolgoku:

we'd like to see a pic of you sitting in it with the seat to get a better idea of the size. if it's too small - then make it pretty and run good, and sell it. then put that money into a full-size mini-buggy (full size mini? lol) fixer-upper. :)

i think it's best to tinker with and fix a couple first to get the basic concepts, and by all means pick up a cheap flux-core welder and get some practice. i dove head first into go-karts last year, and haven't stopped since. :)

I will have a pic of me or my bro(same size as me) in it by tonight. Yeh if i sell i will be making run and sourcing an engine, coat of paint etc.

"Full size mini" :lolgoku:

The only prob i have with getting a new buggy would be cost all in including getting to too me. The best part of the current buggy i have and why it was so cheap as it was only about 20miles from me. Although i suppose if i am patient enough somthing will come up.

Darn i wished i lived across the pond :mad:
:roflol:

scott_shot

Reaction score
I Concede. One step at a time

So project flying scotsman is getting put on hold as my wee frame is no way near worth any hassle, So too clean it up stick an engine in it have a little test drive then Sell Sell Sell:thumbsup:

then as advised i will be buying the right banger, fix - drive - sell repeat. during this time i can get my 600 engine tip top and search out a proper solid frame, then Fix - drive -drive -drive -drive - sell repeat :auto:

Almost feel all my posts have been a waste of space so far though lol Though your advice guys has been pricless keep it up:wai:

Status
Not open for further replies.