BIG air compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those of you that have big compressors, (and those that don't, too!) tell me about your air compressor use..

What do you do that I can't with my 5 CFS 8 gallon? Here's your chance to tell me why I should've bought a bigger compressor. :)

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
My friend bought a 30 shortly after I got mine, which is the 8 like you have. The "biggest" benefit that I saw was that his doesn't have to run very often to fill up when you're using it for extended periods of time. Other than that, not a whole lot that I can think of. It's easier to take mine with me when I go somewhere than it is for him.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Well, My 80 gal. i got free out of a guys garage that burnt down,of couse i had to replace the 3 cyl. compressor and motor but the tank was still good.I love the thing,i can run it forever and it wont run out unless i shut off the motor for a while.I also have a smaller portable one like yours so im not being biased but i just dont like it very much because it runs out so fast.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Well I gues the pro's are being able to run a impact for like a couple of minutes without the motor kicking in and the cons are price and size. BTW I have a 60 gallon dual stage

2or3wheels

Reaction score
ill have to look i tihnk i have a 20 or 10 gallon? I dont know, but its good you what i use it for. if i use a grinder or impact wrench it runs quite abit but i dont use those for long periods of time.

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon...it's awesome for grinding, etc....you don't have to stop and wait for it to catch up like I had to do with my 30. It's better for spraying paint too, when you need large quantities of air (my dad's a bodyman so we had to take that into consideration when we bought the compressor). Plus it just runs less....the noise of the engine can get annoying after a long day in the garage (I CAN'T HEAR MY RADIO!!!).

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah, I'm happy with the small one, but i'd be happier with the big ones. ;)

d311_5uxor

Reaction score
80 gallon Ironman brand from the late 70s?
used heavily with geared orbital sander, die grinder, air drill, filling 5 35" tires after sand dune trip

mainly depends on what you use air for, if you run large sanders, air drills, bodysaws, they require lots of volume to continue working
if you dont do any bodywork, well no worries for you
a 1 gallon compressor can run air wrenches and 3/8" impacts for 10 seconds or so
a 6 gallon is fine for painting cars as long as it has an oil compressor
those oil free things are the noisy cheap junk you can find anywhere for little cash

Status
Not open for further replies.