• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Best place for diesel fitting apprenticehip (Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImJay

Reaction score
This is a longshot, but I'm wondering if anyone has completed an apprenticeship/works at Caterpillar/Cummins/Komatsu as a diesel fitter?

I'm thinking of applying to all three, but I would like to know if they are taught a lot, or just about reading a computer and exchanging parts (this seems to be the case to my father as he has had several contractors like this). Though I also feel working for a smaller company will give me a lot more skills in a wide variety of things.

I know it's different between the rest of the world and Australia (apart from the Aussies here), but does anyone want to add their 5cents to help a young fella out?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a longshot, but I'm wondering if anyone has completed an apprenticeship/works at Caterpillar/Cummins/Komatsu as a diesel fitter?

I'm thinking of applying to all three, but I would like to know if they are taught a lot, or just about reading a computer and exchanging parts (this seems to be the case to my father as he has had several contractors like this). Though I also feel working for a smaller company will give me a lot more skills in a wide variety of things.

I know it's different between the rest of the world and Australia (apart from the Aussies here), but does anyone want to add their 5cents to help a young fella out?

Thanks!
As far as I remember, fowler works for caterpillar. I could be wrong though. It might be someone else he works for

fowler

Reaction score
I work for a large company that hires large mine gear

Mostly haul pacs and dozers

The mining industries is a turbulent one right now
U will find it very hard to get a job in Queensland unfortunately
As the coal industry is jus about on its ***

WA is slowly picking up again
As is NSW

Most of what u do is parts change out these days
Unless u work for a dedicated company
So one builds machines
One does the engines
One does hoses
One does pumps
One does cylenders
Ect

If u want good all round experience then go into agriculture

Working for an OEM is good as u get a huge product based knowledge
But stay away from engines
They're boring as ****

Cat will teach u a wide range of things and put u though a lot of their courses

Also about reading computers

If u get a chance then definitely learn that
It will be the deciding factor for a job in the coming decade

U just can't fault find with a multi meter these days when u have can buses and what not
Those who refuse to learn this stuff will be pushed out very soon

ImJay

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that fowler, it does help a lot.

I think I'll be applying to the majors now and hopefully I'll get an interview with one.
Mind = reassured!

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
I work for similar company here in NZ. CATs largest customer down here. The best thing about working for a dealer is the training you get. The downside is the limited variety of brands.

In the past month the variation of stuff I have worked on is from a .5hp honda pump to a Cat 789 and PC4000. That really is the benefit.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Most of which are controlled with the timely application of pesticides.....

Cough cough cough. .....what's that smell ....I'm so cold....it's so dark....wait....I see a light....I think I should follow it.......

WHAT? .....I don't know. ....that looks like a pretty good drop down to me.....but it does feel like it's warm there......

ImJay

Reaction score
I work for similar company here in NZ. CATs largest customer down here. The best thing about working for a dealer is the training you get. The downside is the limited variety of brands.

In the past month the variation of stuff I have worked on is from a .5hp honda pump to a Cat 789 and PC4000. That really is the benefit.

That's the predicament I have here. :mad2:
Do you think training with CAT/hastings would lead to better job opportunities?

fowler

Reaction score
Most certainly

Cat or komatsu have an unrivalled name in mining

If u say u have training and references in a large manufacturer then it's like havering a cop as an alibi in a robbery

It's pretty full prof
Even if your drop dead useless at what u do

With is the down side as rusty pointed out
The blokes we hire who as ex cat can tell u that the CAT truck making that noise means setting X is breaking pump Y

But put that same bloke on a Volvo and he doesn't know where to start

Obviously U get great product knowledge and obviously they will train u to stay with them

But other company's will hire u for your knowledge on that one product

Iv got a few opportunitys
Or people trying to poach me depends how u look at it

Just because most of my last 3 yrs has been rebuilding cat dozers

Wouldn't have a clue what a komatsu dozers even looks like

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
@ rustydog

Is it still cranking over there

Or has it backed off over the last 12 months

Our couple of coal mines are still humming. As you said the coal price is shot, so alot of the coal mines are backing off aswell as majority of the coal mines.

Crap still breaks down, so plenty of work for us. :lolgoku:

ImJay

Reaction score
Diesel/Electrical Fitting Apprentcieship Australia

Hey fella!

Jay here, back again after a loong time. I hope everyne had a good Christmas.

I passed the assessment at both Hastings Deering (Caterpillar) and Komatsu, but then at Komatsu told me my local area weren't taking apprentices (after I got an interview, which was then cancelled). After that I went through my Hastings interview and did very well in the aptitude test, but didn't succeed as the other applicants had previous experience (only reason why I didn't get it).

So I'm here again to see if anyone knows any businesses local to Brisbane right and down to Sydney that I could contact (I'm considering to move and travel for the right company).

I have contacted/visited about 15-20 companies but none are taking, and I'm waiting for the Christmas period to finish to contact some near Sydney (Absolute Earthmoving and DoubleR).

Any $0.02 is appreciated,
Jay.

Last edited by a moderator:

OzFab

Reaction score
I knew a diesel fitter once, he worked in ladies underwear at Grace Brothers (now defunct major department store for those who aren't familiar); whenever he had a customer, he'd find a pair of underwear, hold them up & say "yep, diesel fitter" :roflol:

ImJay

Reaction score
I hope you find something. I merged your 2 threads and opened your original one
Thank you for that - keeps it a lot cleaner.

I knew a diesel fitter once, he worked in ladies underwear at Grace Brothers (now defunct major department store for those who aren't familiar); whenever he had a customer, he'd find a pair of underwear, hold them up & say "yep, diesel fitter" :roflol:
I have to remember that one - it's golden!

I hope everyone had a good New Years celebration!

ImJay

Reaction score
There are a few Heavy Vehicle Apprenticeships opening around me and I'm just wondering if they are a good pathway (are all diesel fitters heavy vehicle mechanics, but heavy vehicle mechanics are not diesel fitters).

Of course heavy mechs get more truck/trailer experience but do they provide good knowledge for working with earthmoving equipment, or does the little drivetrain and hydraulic knowledge/experience limit later career options?

For Aussies the heavy apprenticeship is with Lindsay Transport, but I would switch to a Diesel Fitting apprenticeship.

fowler

Reaction score
There will always be more jobs in transport than mining

The pay isnt as good though

But heres where u have to gamble with the future economy
The two trade dont cross over apart from engines

On one hand u may not make as much money now
But the mining game is un predictable at the best
And its platoing now
So if your not in u might not get in

Heavy transport will always have jobs
And in the near future they will introduce more laws relateing to licenced repairers

So if u do manage to get into mining u might make good money now but in 10 yrs find its all over and u dont have the qualifications for heavy transport and have two options of either retrain or move to agricuture

Or take the gamble and get into mining to hope it stays as good pay for your 35yr career

A heavy transport mechanic has more legal qualifications in relation to brakes and steering
But severly lack hydrolic and power shift trans knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.